cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CA continue to accrue interest on closed account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a CA continue to accrue interest on closed account?

Several years ago my son got into financial difficulties and he has a number of bad credit items from 2001-2002.  One of these items is a charge-off with Fleet for $3,506.   The account was closed in 2/2001 and charged off in 4/2002.  Fleet is still reporting a balance of $3,506 on his report.   

The account was sold to a CA (Credigy Receivables) in 12/02.  The CA has apparently continued to accrue interest and /or fees, and they are reporting a balance owing of $8,571.  Considering the fact that the CA purchased a closed (and charged-off) account, is my son legally obligated for interest that the CA has continued to accrue?   Seems to me he's never had any relationship with the CA; never signed a cardholder agreement with them, etc., so if the bank closed the account the interest accrual should have stopped at that point.  

This account is scheduled for removal 7/2008, so he's going to leave it alone.   However, if he can request a DV and have it removed based on an incorrect amount that would be so much the better.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can a CA continue to accrue interest on closed account?

Afraid so.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.