Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CA do this LEGALLY?

tag
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Can a CA do this LEGALLY?

When Arrow sent me a dunning letter, they stated "If you notify us in writing within 30 days after receiving this notice, that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, we will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgement and mail you a copy of such verification or judgment."

So it seems like they are threatening to sue me for asking for validation of the debt. Can they do that? I thought that once I requested validation, they had to stop all collection activity until they verify. Wouldn't filing for a judgment be "collection activity"?

Another question, in the quote above they said they will "obtain verification", do they mean from the OC?  If that is the case, they shouldn't be able to validate since I spoke with the OC today and they said they don't have any information on the account. They couldn't tell me anything about it. Not even the account number.

Can these things work to my advantage?
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a CA do this LEGALLY?

creditgirl wrote:
When Arrow sent me a dunning letter, they stated "If you notify us in writing within 30 days after receiving this notice, that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, we will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgement and mail you a copy of such verification or judgment."

So it seems like they are threatening to sue me for asking for validation of the debt. Can they do that? I thought that once I requested validation, they had to stop all collection activity until they verify. Wouldn't filing for a judgment be "collection activity"?

Another question, in the quote above they said they will "obtain verification", do they mean from the OC?  If that is the case, they shouldn't be able to validate since I spoke with the OC today and they said they don't have any information on the account. They couldn't tell me anything about it. Not even the account number.

Can these things work to my advantage?

What it sounds like to me is that are saying if what they are trying to collect on is a judgement, they will obtain a copy of it and mail it to you.

Message 2 of 6
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Wow, I'm an idiot! That could very well be what they mean. It's not on a judgment though.  So, when they verify, are they going to have to go back to the OC to obtain the information or should they already have everything?

I ask because the OC doesn't have anything. I called today and played totally dumb. I acted as if I didn't know anything about the ca, hoping they'd let me pay them.  Anyway, the lady didn't have any information in her system. No account number, no payment information, couldn't tell when I opened the account, how much I owe or anything.  She said it's not in her system.

I guess I will just wait a couple more weeks and DV the ca and see how it goes. If you have any ideas or suggestions for me, please keep them coming!

Thanks again!
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

sounds like a threat to me. Arrow is dirty.  What is your SOL?  are you past it?   You can sed a DV now!  If not past SOL be ready to pay!!!!
Message 4 of 6
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Happy,
Unfortunately I am not past my sol.  I am prepared to pay with a credit card, but I would prefer not to do that and wait as close to January as possible. 

I will go ahead and send the DV. Are you saying that I should not wait until closer to the 30 days.  I can see why I might not want to wait as MAYBE if I dv now, they won't report to my cr *IF* they cannot verify.

I have read lots in other places about Arrow being one of the BAD cas.  However, I have also often read that they often don't have all the information and cannot verify.  And if they have to get the information from Premier, I'm almost positive they won't be able to verify. Premier has NO information on the account anymore.  I don't think they bothered to keep any information once they sold it to Arrow.

So have you heard that Arrow is bad about verifying? I am a bit stumped as to why they haven't reported to the cras yet though...
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

being dirty has nothing to do with verifing.......they are known for anything underhanded

wait till about 25 days....they must receive it before the 30 days are up. CMRRR

be sure to ask for complete account history!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 10-20-2007 08:42 AM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.