cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CA pull a hard inquiry on an account that has been closed for 10 years?

tag
eemjlh
Established Member

Can a CA pull a hard inquiry on an account that has been closed for 10 years?

Can a CA pull a hard inquiry on an account that had a last activity 10 years ago?  I have a CA that did that on an account that is no longer showing on my credit report.  I thought CAs could only pull soft inquiries.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a CA pull a hard inquiry on an account that has been closed for 10 years?

I spoke to my attorney today and asked him.

He says No hard, No Soft. FCRA does not specify Hard and soft Inquiries just Permissible Purpose- which they do not have.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a CA pull a hard inquiry on an account that has been closed for 10 years?

Clarification, please...

Your attorney says that a CA CANNOT pull a report at all or is this only if it past fall-off? 
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

He says CA's do not have PP AT ALL - but

To avoid being sued:
The INQ MUST be marked "Collection Purpose"
They better have the documentation that they OWN the debt or have a valid collection agreement with a creditor the IS on your credit report.

Otherwise it is a violation-

Non PP Soft INQ's other that promotional are a violation.

@Anonymous wrote:
Clarification, please...
Your attorney says that a CA CANNOT pull a report at all or is this only if it past fall-off?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.