Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CA pull your credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a CA pull your credit?

NO! At least not now in the Ninth U.S. Circuit. This is a win for consumers.

"Under the plain terms of § 1681e(a), a subscriber’s certification cannot absolve the reporting agency of its independent obligation to verify the certification and determine that no reasonable grounds exist for suspecting impermissible use."

That means the CRA is on the hook if they stand on the argument that "But your honor, they told us they had PP."

This was over a traffic citation, so it's possible if a collection is over a credit card or other credit transaction then Pinto would not obtain. However, for medical collections, library collections, et al., this does hold.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 10-29-2007 11:04 AM
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a CA pull your credit?

This could also be useful if a car dealer says they need your SSN "just for insurance purposes", and then pull your credit without your permission.

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty clear here that a CA does not have PP unless it is related to a credit transaction initiated by the customer.
Message 3 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Good post Noah! CAs and car dealerships, is there really a difference. A CA never has PP according to the FTC section 604 which requires a consumer to be applying for credit in order for any entity to yank credit reports. Last time I checked it's impossible to apply for credit with a CA.
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Noah for the good info! You are chocked full of good info.

(and thanks so much for emailing me what you emailed me.) Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Sylviatob wrote:
Thanks Noah for the good info! You are chocked full of good info.

(and thanks so much for emailing me what you emailed me.) Smiley Happy

Mind emailing it to the rest of us guys?Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey. Hey! It was something else he posted a long time ago. I commented how much I appreciated him posing those links at the bottom of each message, and he was kind enough to email them to me. Smiley Happy

Don't tell me YOU went out and got a Hooter's card! LOLOL
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few inquiries on my report from CAs and so does my husband.  So you guys are saying that the CA can't do that?  How do I get rid of them?  I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of calling or writing a collection agency that I can't pay yet?
Message 8 of 32
Dawn
Established Contributor

With all the reports of hard inquiries without PP, I find myself wondering if creditors and CRAs have been lax over the years (because of a lack of report reviews on the part of consumers)  in choosing to seek (and allow) hard inquiries when they should have been soft (if at all.)  However, it does seem pretty obvious that CAs should not have PP ... without having to go to court to get a ruling on that.  Smiley Mad 

Until the masses had access to their 'annual free credit report' most of us would have never known who (or how often) anyone was pulling our reports.  DH and I did not seek new credit for about 15 years and never had a reason to pull our credit reports to see who was looking over our shoulder.  Having never been denied for credit, we were never entitled to a "free report" until recently, so we had no clue who was "spying" on us.  By the time we saw our reports, any unacceptable inquiries would have fallen off.

This new freedom we have to scrutinize our reports has made us aware of things that have been going on for so long, the participating parties probably assume that since no one has been rocking the boat (up until now) their standard procedures are acceptable. CAs may have access to some of the information in our credit reports that would assist them with skip-tracing, but maybe their operations aren't sophisticated enough to be aware of what they legally can ask for and receive.  Then again ... maybe they are all just mean-spirited and intentionally attempting to cause more problems for the consumer.  Smiley Wink

I also wonder if some of the hard inquiries are because of software programming on the part of those creditors pulling the reports.  Maybe the individuals who initiate an inquiry are using software that doesn't give them an option of what type of inquiry to request, hence the number of hard inquiries that should be soft? 

Just grasping at straws here and trying to give the front-line customer service people a break when they say the inquiry will be soft (or not pulled at all) without knowing what the back-office procedures really are.  We have become a nation of "gate-keepers" and front-line Customer Service doesn't really always have all the answers.  One of the more difficult things I have had to try to get through to my kids is that the first person they talk to doesn't always have the right answers and they have to push to go higher up the chain to get to someone who really does know (or can find out.)

March on brave warriors (to places no man has gone before!) 

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just pulled my Experian report and I noticed a CA that I have a medical collections with pulled my credit in 3/07 as a hard inquiry!! 
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.