cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a bank look at your credit report more once in one day?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a bank look at your credit report more once in one day?

Would anyone know if a bank or any company look at a credit report numerous times in one day?  If not, can it be disputed b/c I have been getting yes/no.  A mortgage company looked at my credit report more than 10x in one day and it caused my credit score to drop 50 POINTSS!!!!  i need help b/c i have been on top of my credit from the very beginning!

What can I do especially since I am trying to buy my first home?!?!?!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Can a bank look at your credit report more once in one day?

jgo, are you looking at a FICO score, or one directly from a credit bureau or monitoring service? FICO treats multiple inquiries for home or auto loans as only one inquiry, if they occur within a certain limit of time, and definitely within one day would qualify! I would not have expected a 50 point drop from this.

edit: When you are getting ready for a mortgage, it is especially important to only look at FICO scores, because for mortgage purposes, they are essentially the only scores that lenders look at. Generally they pull scores from all three agencies, and they might go with the middle score, etc.

Not only are scores from other sites misleading, the advice that they give is often terrible --very hurtful to your FICO scores. Smiley Surprised

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-01-2007 04:31 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Can a bank look at your credit report more once in one day?

If they have your permission, they can... but most are not going to pull hards all day and usually would recode all but the first.

But, being that this is a mortgage, the CRAs do not count each individual INQ since they know you are shopping.  

Call the CRA and verify that they are only counting this once.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.