cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a collection agency put a hard inquiry on credit report??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a collection agency put a hard inquiry on credit report??

Under this column Regular Inquiries
The following companies have received your credit report. Their inquiries remain on your credit report for two years.
Portfolio Recovery via PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSO P.O.BOX 12914
NORFOLK , VA 23541
(800) 772-1413 

Requested On:
Inquiry Type:
05/10/2007
Individual
Permissible Purpose:  COLLECTION 
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can a collection agency put a hard inquiry on credit report??

NO!!!!!!! Dispute it with the CRA as not mine, I didn't apply for credit with a CA. It's impossible to apply for credit with a CA.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I dispute an Inquiry? Can I do it online?
Message 3 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Which CRA?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

transunion
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow I just looked in my mail from a while back they bought my old providian credit account that was over 7rs old they are trying to collect on that.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i write them this letter?

Dear Creditor:

In a recent review of my credit reports I discovered an inquiry from your company. I do not recall authorizing you to review my credit. Accordingly, I would like to be sent proof that I initiated or requested for you to review my credit. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Based on the FCRA, I must have authorized you to review my credit with written permission. Please forward a copy of that written authorization. If you are unable to provide me with proof or do not retain records of such authorization, please promptly remove the inquiry from my credit report (name which credit bureau) and send me written confirmation of the removal.

Thank you for your timely reply.

Sincerely,

Joe Consumer

Message 7 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

At the time of the hard INQ, wasn't this beyond collecting SOL?  That would be a double whammy for NCO.

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah i believe so
Message 9 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have never disputed an inq with TU online. You might want to call them and see if this is an option at 800.916.8800. Are you past the SOL with this collection? If yes, I would also write an ITS letter (intent to sue letter) to the CA (don't sign it, just type your name) and demand 1K for them violating  FTC section 604. Here's a thread you might find interesting.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.