cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a fraud alert make it hard to get credit?

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Can a fraud alert make it hard to get credit?

I have been doing some further reading on credit.

Back in early 2013, I apped for the cap1 secured card and was denied. Unable to locate credit report. 

Huh?

I called and they said I must have a thin file.

Wait a minute, if the secured card is used to BUILD credit, how can having a thin file make it where your denied? Seems pointless to me.

I pulled my EQ CR the other day and found I had a FA placed back in 2012, I didn't realize this, and had it removed.

Now I'm wondering, could have cap1 denied me due to a FA?

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Re: Can a fraud alert make it hard to get credit?

Yes. if your phone number doesn't match the one on your CA they'll deny you. they have to talk to you directly to verify YOU are the one that initiated the credit app. speaking from experience.
Message 2 of 12
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

What if you move and your phone number changes?  You think they could just give you a number to call in the letter.

TU Fico 626

Message 3 of 12
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

You have to be the one to make any changes to your personal info on credit report. they will also automatically opt you out of any prescreened credit offers as a result of fraud alert. i want to add that this is not an entirley. bad thing...as long as you make sure your contact info is correct with the cra's
Message 4 of 12
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
Yes. if your phone number doesn't match the one on your CA they'll deny you. they have to talk to you directly to verify YOU are the one that initiated the credit app. speaking from experience.

+1.

A FA without contact information will always result in a denial for credit.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 5 of 12
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
You have to be the one to make any changes to your personal info on credit report. they will also automatically opt you out of any prescreened credit offers as a result of fraud alert. i want to add that this is not an entirley. bad thing...as long as you make sure your contact info is correct with the cra's

+1

Very good point...I've never really understood why people see a FA as a bad thing. 

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 6 of 12
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Me either. it can absolutely be a big help in stopping identity theft. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your contact info updated...not doing so results in hard pulls for no benefit to you by not understanding how a FA actually works. i use one.
Message 7 of 12
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
Me either. it can absolutely be a big help in stopping identity theft. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your contact info updated...not doing so results in hard pulls for no benefit to you by not understanding how a FA actually works. i use one.

I have my reports frozen and have been years (at least one of them anyways)...I did have an extended FA prior to that.  I've explained in a couple of posts that it is the most simple and cost effective method of identity protection because I don't believe in paying some company a monthly fee for doing the same thing.

Message 8 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have FAs and have had them for years. As long as the potential creditor can reach you based on the contact number provided, it's not a problem. Even my current cc's call me for CLI's. 

Message 9 of 12
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

I thought some creditors are lazy and will deny you if you have a FA, because it's too much work to call you.

TU Fico 626

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.