cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a lender report the interest you owe?

tag
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

Can a lender report the interest you owe?

I took out a furniture loan for $2,500.

If it takes me 5 years to pay it off, with interest, I'll end up paying $7,000. Obviously I'll pay it off well before then.

Can the lender report $7,000 owed on the credit report? That doesn't make any sense to me. I feel like they should report $2,500 which is what I actually borrowed.

It's like you owing a credit card company $2,000 and then reporting $15,000 -- Because, well, if it took you 20 years to pay it off, you'll end up paying $15,000.

Doesn't seem right.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

Re: Can a lender report the interest you owe?

I just looked at the rest of my report.

NO other lender includes interest.

My car loan is just what I financed. Not interest.

Credit cards are just my balance. Not interest.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would give them a call and ask about it. I feel like there is no way it's legal to report hypothetical debt which is what interest is.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Interest becomes accrued debt only upon the due date of the installment payment, and includes only interest on the unpaid balance at the annual APR computed for one that month.

Creditors update to reflect only the remaining principal balance, not potential debt that might be incurred.

Message 4 of 7
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

Thank you both.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are two dollar amount fields which are reported each time with any installment loan.  One is the Amount Originally Borrowed.  This is the amount you, um, originally borrowed.  Means just what it says.  By definition there could be no interest in this figure since on Day 0 no interest had yet accumulated.

The other is the Amount Currently Owed on the account.  Here some of the amount could be interest, depending on when you make your payments.  Typically only a small amount would be interest: at most one month's worth.  The rest of the reported amount would be capital. But there are situations where a lot of interest could have accumulated, causing the Amount Owed to be much higher than the Amount Originally Borrowed.  An example would be a student who takes out an unsubsidized student loan as a freshman and who stays in school until he has finished his doctorate (during which time no payments were made).

So the creditor can report a figure, much of which consists of interest, and which is substantially higher than the amount originally borrowed.  But if you have been making monthly payments since the start of the loan, and if each payment at least a tiny dent into the principal, then this would not happen.

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@BuffaloBoy wrote:
I took out a furniture loan for $2,500.

If it takes me 5 years to pay it off, with interest, I'll end up paying $7,000. Obviously I'll pay it off well before then.

Can the lender report $7,000 owed on the credit report? That doesn't make any sense to me. I feel like they should report $2,500 which is what I actually borrowed.

It's like you owing a credit card company $2,000 and then reporting $15,000 -- Because, well, if it took you 20 years to pay it off, you'll end up paying $15,000.

Doesn't seem right.

Doesn't sound right to me either.  

First place to check is your contract for the furniture to see your terms and conditions. I am assuming you have a simple interest type loan. If you have a different type loan then you can compare what you actually have to see where the $7000 is referenced. Then check with the store where you purchased the furniture for an explanation.

Is this loan one of those differed interest type deals where if you make the minimum payment it isn't enough to pay it off in time and all the accrued interest is posted to the balance?   Similar to how Rooms to Go finances their furniture. 

If so, then do whatever you have to do to pay it off well before the deadline so you never incur the interest. In any event, I think you are right to be concerned and do whatever you need to do to get it to report correctly.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.