cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an unauthorized inquiry dispute cause lender to close account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a double inquiry from capital one that they refuse to remove even though they can not prove to me that I double requested (I didnt CSR screwed up and then left me high and dry)

If I dispute it with Credit Bureaus, could Cap 1 close out my accounts even if I am a low utilization on time paying customer?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Re: Can an unauthorized inquiry dispute cause lender to close account?

A double inquiry for what? When you open an account with Cap1 they triple pull you, pulling a report from all 3 credit agencies.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Refinance, Originally denied and I called for a recon and rep told me will use same pull for report....New report was pulled and when I called back to let them know they apolgized but refused to help.

Message 3 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Auto Refinance, Originally denied and I called for a recon and rep told me will use same pull for report....New report was pulled and when I called back to let them know they apolgized but refused to help.

It's a "permissable purpose," so you probably wouldn't get anywhere disputing it with the CRAs.   If you feel that adamandly about it, I'd recommend contacting the EO to see if the INQ can be removed as a courtesy.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a "permissable purpose," so you probably wouldn't get anywhere disputing it with the CRAs.   If you feel that adamandly about it, I'd recommend contacting the EO to see if the INQ can be removed as a courtesy.  

Is it worth trying to dispute? What is the worst that can happen a no from Equifax? When they dispute do some banks grant the removal more than others due to not wanting to take time to look in case?

Message 5 of 11
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

It's safest to go through EO if you're afraid of getting accounts closed because of it.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 6 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it worth trying to dispute? What is the worst that can happen a no from Equifax? When they dispute do some banks grant the removal more than others due to not wanting to take time to look in case?

When you recon, you have to realize there's a very strong likelihood that you will incur an additional HP.   When I reconned my Macy's denial, I got a second HP (and an approval, so it was worth it for me).  What woud very likely happen if you disputed the INQ it is that Cap One will come back and say that you gave permission for them to pull credit.   No, I don't think disputing would cause Cap One to take AA against you.  However, I do think it's a waste of effort for something that likely has a minimal impact (if any) on your scores.

If you want to pursue it, I think your efforts are better spent contacting the EO to see if they will remove it and explain to them exactly what you've told us.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually EO helped with a credit account but could not remove the inquiry as they told me I need to speak to a different department for auto.

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An "ünauthorized inquiry" is one that lacks permiissible purpose.

The FCRA defines a request for credit as a permissiible purpose.  Express consumer approval is not required.

The CRA will almost certainly deny any dispute as long as they have a statement of permisssible purpose of record.

The real issue, in my opinion, is thus not one of dispute for lack of compliance wit the FCRA, but rather poor business practice of promising not to pull, then doing so.

I would thus suggest either the call to an executive within their organization or a BBB complaint rather than a dispute to the CRA.

Message 9 of 11
starry1
Valued Contributor

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.