Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone "freeze" their report?

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Can anyone "freeze" their report?

I am wanting to freeze my equifax report to avoid anymore hard inquiries going on there.  Can anyone do that or do you have to be dealing with identity theft to do so?

I have 25 HP's on my equifax Smiley Sad but only 8 on experian,  I'm not sure about transunion though since even though I was dened credit it won't let me get another free report.  

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can anyone "freeze" their report?

Freeze procedures vary by state.

Have you checked out the credit report freeze statutory provisions for your state?

What type of hard inquiries are you trying to block?  Do the inquirees have permissible purpose?

Message 2 of 6
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Freeze procedures vary by state.

Have you checked out the credit report freeze statutory provisions for your state?

What type of hard inquiries are you trying to block?  Do the inquirees have permissible purpose?

I have read it but honestly, I don't understand it.  I'm trying to block any inquiries from going to EQ and read somewhere that if you freeze just EQ that instead a creditor will pull TU or EX. 

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One of the main purposes for existence of the entire credit reporting system is to provide a database of prior consumer credit history that is readily avaliable to those making credit and business decisions.  As such, the FCRA is structured to enable those having a permissible purpose to pull consumer credit reports without their express permission by simply providing a statement attesting to their permissible purpose.

Denying access to your credit report to one who has clear permissible purpose is thus not tightly regulated.  The FCRA provides for fraud alerts, providing some degree of control for prevention of possible identity theft, but they are not intended to be an obstacle to legitimate credit inquiries.

Many states have enacted CR freeze provisions.  Some wont block permissible purpose credit inquiries.

I suggest checking out any CR freeze provisions in effect in your state for the degree of restriction they provide.

Message 4 of 6
Simply827
Established Contributor

If you were denied credit in the past 60 days, TU has to give you a free report.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

........provided you send them a copy of the denial letter within 60 days of the denial of credit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.