cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can disputing a collection hurt my credit score ?

tag
Trigga
Regular Contributor

Can disputing a collection hurt my credit score ?

I have one medical collection on my credit report which is 500 dollars and Centrl Finacal controll has the account , will just disputing this item hurt my credit report/score  or should i just pay it and let it update as paid .? I heard horror stories when trying to do a PFD with this agency ..

WalMart 5k , Amazon 3.5k,Chase Freedom 1.5k , Citi TY 2k, Discover IT1.1k, HomeDepot 2.8k , Chase Slate1.5k , BofA cash rewards 1.5k, Lowes 12k , Kay Jewelers 3k , Gardening until 2015!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Can disputing a collection hurt my credit score ?

Disputing the collection will take It out of FICO scoring. So it might actually improve your score. Paying the collection won't improve your score, removing it will likely help. I would take the time to send a PFD, it's always worth a try.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Disputing a CA won't take it out, and that only applies to certain aspects of an OC account per FICO scoring. And ditoo, paying a CA won't help your FICO. Send a DV before sending a PFD.

I haven't studied this CA...what kind of horror stories?

Message 3 of 13
Trigga
Regular Contributor

Maybe "HORROR" isnt the right word ... just i never seen or heard of anyone getting a PFD from this company if so i would love to hear how you did it ..i been trying for 6 months now ...to do a DV and a PFD ....

WalMart 5k , Amazon 3.5k,Chase Freedom 1.5k , Citi TY 2k, Discover IT1.1k, HomeDepot 2.8k , Chase Slate1.5k , BofA cash rewards 1.5k, Lowes 12k , Kay Jewelers 3k , Gardening until 2015!
Message 4 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are considering a PFD at some time, I would be cautious about disputing just to try and "get it off."

To file a legitimate dispute, you must have some basis for contending that their reporting was inaccurate.  Disputes just for the sake of disputing may not put the debt collector in a mood of good-will if you should subsequently send them a PFD offer.  In my opinion, you should dispute only if the reported information is actually inaccurate.

I would take the previous advice of first sending them a DV request.  If timely sent, it will place them under a cease collection bar until such time as they provide verification of the debt.  You dont have to concoct an inaccuracy in their reporting to request debt validation.

Message 5 of 13
fot1
Established Contributor

I had a PFD with these guys.  Non medical account of $1850. I offered $800 for settle in full and removal.   I received a generic form letter saying they accepted  the amount and would report the acount paid in full. I called as it wasn't a pfd letter and the guy said they wouldn't put it in writing but would delete on payment. I was pretty new to all this credit rebuilding and agreed,gave em my bank infor and they took the $800 via eletronic check and two weeks later deleted from all three CRA's. I have the guys name and number if you would like to  give it a shot.

I will add one thing, the day I paid I had Midland credit do an inquiry on my report and send a dunning notice dated that date for another baddie I had. I don't know if they are part of teh same larger company, if CPC sold  info, or was just dumb luck. ymmv

Too many to list..
Message 6 of 13
Trigga
Regular Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

I had a PFD with these guys.  Non medical account of $1850. I offered $800 for settle in full and removal.   I received a generic form letter saying they accepted  the amount and would report the acount paid in full. I called as it wasn't a pfd letter and the guy said they wouldn't put it in writing but would delete on payment. I was pretty new to all this credit rebuilding and agreed,gave em my bank infor and they took the $800 via eletronic check and two weeks later deleted from all three CRA's. I have the guys name and number if you would like to  give it a shot.

I will add one thing, the day I paid I had Midland credit do an inquiry on my report and send a dunning notice dated that date for another baddie I had. I don't know if they are part of teh same larger company, if CPC sold  info, or was just dumb luck. ymmv

If you can get me that name and number ill glady take a shot at it , should i call or mail this person ?

Message 7 of 13
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

If the contact at the collection agency does not work out. Have tried contacting  the original creditor?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 13
Trigga
Regular Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

If the contact at the collection agency does not work out. Have tried contacting  the original creditor?

They tell me they have sold the account to the collection agency and can not and will not comment about the bill , i have to go through the agency that bought the rights to the outstanding bill . Does that sound right ?

Message 9 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Trigga wrote:

I have one medical collection on my credit report which is 500 dollars and Centrl Finacal controll has the account , will just disputing this item hurt my credit report/score  or should i just pay it and let it update as paid .? I heard horror stories when trying to do a PFD with this agency ..

No. Is thie debt valid?? If it is there is no need to dispute, if not I would send a DV ASAP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.