cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone get mortgage w/tax lien?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can someone get mortgage w/tax lien?

Thanks for the tip.  I'm just so skeptical of anyone that I'm scared to just "trust" people.  I think one guy I hooked up with was totally out to get me a subprime and I do to get out of the "kick them while their down and keep them down" syndrome.  I've already been there since highschool 20 years agoSmiley Sad

I know we all pay for our mistakes & I'm willing, I just believe I am a heck of a lot smarter but it's a tough road to keep proving!
Message 11 of 22
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My credit history full picture for past 6+ years has had "clean-up" work done since my divorce and no lates but one account that has been in dispute for two years...now has a tax lien as of last October...will I ever get a mortgage? I'm asking the pros for this one or do I just figure I'll never own a house?
I didn't want to get a 2nd job so that I could spend time with my kids when they were small and new to divorce so I claimed a lot of exemptions, didn't pay much tax. Last year when I made a job transition (off for the summer) I met w/IRS agent to see if I could offer/compromise...they said no...income went down but not enough to get a huge refund...but it was my first in 10 years (married formerly to someone we never had money) so anyway...I'm now going on a payment plan with both STate & Fed, just wondering if someone is blowing smoke or would I really get a mortgage with payment plan in place?
Not sure yet of recent scores but back in Jan they were 602, 636 & 580...the lien and closing 3 credit card accounts caused me to take a powder I know, but I also wanted to be more financially responsible by not having all these TLs.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't pick anyone out of the phone book. Maybe one of your trusted relatives knows someone who knows someone. I traveled the road you are on. You have to stop the IRS clock as the penalties and interest add up quickly. It can be done. Resign yourself to renting for a while. Save.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Smallfry - I don't have any relatives here in townSmiley Sad

I've rented forever...just didn't want it to be the entire time I raised my kidsSmiley Sad but I guess that's it a sacrifice still worth it
Message 13 of 22
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

You could also cross check the BBB before choosing a tax lawyer.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fabulous idea - hat's off!  I'll keep you posted!

Back on tonight- time to be MomSmiley Happy
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The IRS, what a baffling organization. Awhile back they nailed me for failing to file in 1992. 1992! They "estimated" I owed $3000 and dinged my employer to take all of my income except for about $350 a paycheck. They straight up don't care if your kids are eating macoroni and cheese for 2 months or if you have to move your family into a van. They really don't give a rats. Definitely gave me a new perspective and realistic view of this government that I give 40% of my wages to support. The biggest crock is that they claim to "estimate" if they don't get your claim. They somehow overlook the fact that income tax is not exactly optional. They know exactly what I made that year and what taxes were taken out and reported by my employer. My mistake.....I was young and dumb and didn't file. But...whatever income I made was taxed at the time and they have records. When they decide you owe them money, the IRS is nothing more than Guido shaking down a bakery owner as far as I'm concerned.
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds horrible and I"m sure it's mine turn coming.  The one thing I have always done was stay in touch...I frankly cannot afford to pay and don't see it happening for a while if I want my kids to have clothing,etc.  Gas prices through the roof doesn't help but then whatever...I know it wasn't the smartest choice, however, it was still worth it to be home with my kids vs. never seeing them.

I am only let down by the fact that I'm not sure if I'll find someone to help try to negotiate down.  I found a few websites, but of course they don't give any ballpark costs.  Between State & Fed I probably owe $12k...and the State here is FAR WORSE than IRS for me anywaySmiley Sad
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Taxpayer Advocate Service, it's a free service from an independent organization within the irs. Go to ww.irs.gov and search "advocate".
Hope this helps.
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Truly appreciate that, thank you.  Start my first time home buyer class this week, wrap up next week...being realistic but want the house...had a subprimer tell me today he could still get me in even with the lien - don't know that I get that one...don't want a higher than hills loan.

Too scared to get my butt in another jam, spent the first 20 years doing that stupid stuff!
Message 19 of 22
sl
Established Contributor

I agree with you advice.  Ge a professional to talk to the IRS.  As a tax accountant, I have referred many clients to tax attorneys and know they will and can reduce the amount owed.  Also, I would agree chances of getting any type of credit with a tax lien is unlikely.  They will want that fixed first.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.