cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can something trigger for a closed account to reopen?

tag
krislee
Valued Member

Can something trigger for a closed account to reopen?

Awhile back I noticed that a credit card I haven't applied for was on my credit report. It shows me as an authorized user for an account that was closed couple years ago. The year dates back to before I was 18 so I'm not sure how it was able to sneak into my report. It's the oldest account in my credit history and pushing my AAoA upward. I called the credit agency (I think it was either Experian or Equifax) and they told me not to worry about it because it's helping my credit history not harming it. I completely forgot about it for awhile till now. I'm currently taking a finance class and one of the things we have to do is go through our credit report to see if there is anything amiss. We learned about how dangerous it is to have someone else's info mixing with our own. Now I'm worried that somehow something is going to trigger the closed account to open or better yet I'll end up with more accounts that aren't mine. Should I push for the credit account to be erased or just let it go? The CSR I talked to before seemed adamant to investigating the claim since it's a positive not a negative. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Can something trigger for a closed account to reopen?

Since it's closed and no it can't be reopened I would leave it as a positive account.

Just IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@krislee wrote:

Should I push for the credit account to be erased or just let it go? The CSR I talked to before seemed adamant to investigating the claim since it's a positive not a negative. 

Your call.  If it's a positive (not just AAoA but utlization as well) I'd leave it.

It's certainly possible for a closed account to reopen but this is probably just a reporting error as accounts typically aren't reopened years down the road.  The creditor is the one that you'd need to check with to see why it's currently reporting.  Generalizing isn't going to get you to the bottom of this.  If you want to determine the cause you'll need to dig in.  That said, errors happen for various reasons which is why you need to routinely check your reports.

Message 3 of 5
krislee
Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I went throught the report again to look at who the creditor was and saw it was Chase. Thought it was ironic since I opened a joint checking account with them around the time on the report. I also closed my account around the same time the credit card close as well. Coincidence? Anyways, I decided to let it go as suggested. Hopefully is a minor error that won't happen again since I'm pretty happy with my credit report the way it is.

Message 4 of 5
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

LOL, i have a card Blair Corp, on mine doing the same thing. Old store card  of some sort, 1k available.  I dont remember it but its old and is helping the utilization. I am just leaving it and letting it report lol.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.