cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can splitting a credit file happen very easily?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Can splitting a credit file happen very easily?

Hi All, 

I am just wondering how big of a concern splitting a credit file truly is with a lot of SP's?  Through my rebuilding, I have pulled my files quite a bit, to the tune of 3 to 4 times a week, some weeks a bit more, through MPM and/or Amex Credit Secure.  I am just wondering if splitting a credit file is a real concern, or if it takes doing this every day for a couple of years to cause a split.  

Your thoughts and experiences?  

Thanks! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Can splitting a credit file happen very easily?

I'd like to know this as well, I will follow this thread. Hopefully one if the longtimers or mods can pipe in here.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EW800 wrote:

Hi All, 

I am just wondering how big of a concern splitting a credit file truly is with a lot of SP's?  Through my rebuilding, I have pulled my files quite a bit, to the tune of 3 to 4 times a week, some weeks a bit more, through MPM and/or Amex Credit Secure.  I am just wondering if splitting a credit file is a real concern, or if it takes doing this every day for a couple of years to cause a split.  

Thanks! 

You definitely run the risk of having a file split by repeated soft pulls.  From what I understand it's most likely to happen with Equifax more so than with the other two.  A split file can certainly be a short term pain in the butt it can be remedied by contacting that particular agency and having them merge your reports back into one. I'm not sure there is an exact answer of how many times it takes before it will occur because your complete credit file, not just inquiries are factored in before the split.  The split will occur if your credit file becomes too large and adding a ton of SPs along with lots of accounts, addresses, etc can accelerate the process.  It helps to rid your report of any errors like incorrect names or addresses even if they appear to be insignificant.  Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 10
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

Hi All, 

Thanks! 

You definitely run the risk of having a file split by repeated soft pulls.  From what I understand it's most likely to happen with Equifax more so than with the other two.  A split file can certainly be a short term pain in the butt it can be remedied by contacting that particular agency and having them merge your reports back into one. I'm not sure there is an exact answer of how many times it takes before it will occur because your complete credit file, not just inquiries are factored in before the split.  The split will occur if your credit file becomes too large and adding a ton of SPs along with lots of accounts, addresses, etc can accelerate the process.  It helps to rid your report of any errors like incorrect names or addresses even if they appear to be insignificant.  Hope this helps.

i know that "magical" things happen when you get 56 soft inquiries on transunion in 2 months

Message 4 of 10
EW800
Valued Contributor

Please define *magical*! Smiley Happy
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 10
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

That tactic is not allowed to be discussed-MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator.

-Oops, Sorry.

Message 6 of 10
EW800
Valued Contributor

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with credit files splitting.  With pulling scores 3-4 times a week, I am just wondering if I could be at risk of a problem?

Message 7 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@EW800 wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with credit files splitting.  With pulling scores 3-4 times a week, I am just wondering if I could be at risk of a problem?

This most likely will not have an impact.

Message 8 of 10
EW800
Valued Contributor

Excellent.  Thanks gdale!  

Message 9 of 10
jsully87
Regular Contributor

It happened to me -- but I was CONSTANTLY trying SCT and doing multiple file pulls thru many different monitoring sites.

Happened on EQ -- everything gone -- 9 years worth. Even my recently reported current/open stuff is not sticking.

It took me 30 minutes on the phone with Equifax, just to be transfered, and then hung up on after I finally got a human and got past the automated system. Happened around Dec 18th and still no change.

Idk - I am just going with it as of right now.

Myfico EQ 670 / TU 625 / EX 614 Jan 11,2015
AAoA : 4yrs
Mine: Cap1 $500 | Cap1 $300 | FH 1100 Store Cards : $2750CL
AU QS 750 | AU Cap1 1000 | AU Cr1 500 | AU Fp 300
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.