Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get rid of obsolete account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get rid of obsolete account

Hi everyone.  New here.  I have an account from 1994 that was included in a bk13 in 1996.  The bk was completed and discharged in 2001.  At this time the account is 7 yrs old.  I started trying to repair my credit in 2003 and sent (big mistake) copies of my discharge papers to the credit bureaus to get this account deleted.  All removed the account except Equifax.  To this day this account is still on my credit report.   I've disputed with the original creditor and equifax.  Equifax  keeps verifying this account even after I sent a letter from the OC that they couldn't me or the account number in their system.

I have disputed this account a total of 4 times the last time was in April 2007.  EQ verified the account, then after about 5 yrs of no updates or anything from the creditor now it starts to update every month for May and June and my scores tanked about 40 points across the board.    So I called Equifax and asked for method of verification, was told they did not speak to anyone it was done electronically.  I asked for date of first deliquency and they did not even have that!!!  The only thing they have is when I sent my bk discharge papers they date of last activity was changed to the date of the discharged bankruptcy!!!

I am so upset with this I don't know what to do.  Equifax started a reinvestigation of this account.  In the meantime I sent another letter to the original creditor and when I tried to call - the telephone number is out of service???  I asked around and turns out the company has filed a bankruptcy petition last year.  Can someone help, give some encouragement or something.  I had brought my scores up from low 500's to 560-570 and it seems all for nothing.

Sorry for the long rant.  Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't get rid of obsolete account

That sounds like a pretty sneaky way of resetting the date.  Sorry, I'm sure someone will have some advice for you. There are many smart people in this fourm. Keep asking!!!
Message 2 of 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can't get rid of obsolete account

Try this letter:

Dear CRA,
My name is xxxxx xxxxxx , my SS # is xxx xx xxxx.
I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxxx to make sure you receive it.
I have no knowledge or records of account # xxxxx on my report # xxxxx.
Please advise me as to the name and address of the original creditor, the name of the account holder, and the reported date of first delinquency,as any account I might have had at one time would be obsolete.

If you can obtain this information, I also would need the name of the person providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies.

Very truly yours,

xxxxxx

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.