cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay BOA CC online without BOA bank account?!

tag
SGR
Contributor

Can't pay BOA CC online without BOA bank account?!

So I closed my BOA checking account recently because I never use it and now BOA is going to start charging monthly fees. I have a BOA credit card which I have always paid using a NON-BOA account. However, after I closed my BOA checking account I now can't pay the CC online. When I click "Make payment" I get the following error:

Is it really not possible to pay a BOA CC using a non-BOA bank account online?!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Can't pay BOA CC online without BOA bank account?!

I think Bill Pay is to pay other accounts not your CC.  I have a BofA CC and pay it through my CU checking account.  

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 19
Artemis092
Regular Contributor

Although I have BOA checking account now I didn't when I first got my BOA CC several months ago and I was able to pay from my Wells Fargo account with no problem.

If you build it, they will come.

Amex BCE | Amex ED | BofA Rewards | Citibank DC | CitiBank Best Buy | Discover IT | Chase Amazon Prime | Chase Freedom | Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 3 of 19
rooeez
Regular Contributor

Under the "Bill Pay" tab there is a link at the bottom to "Manage Pay To/From Accounts." Click that then you can add the bank that you want to pay your BofA account from. Give enough time to verify the account, sometimes they have to make deposits, wait, then you verify the amount.

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 4 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I also recently closed my BoA checking. There's supposed to be a way to add an external account to pay a CC, but it's easier to just use your other bank account's Bill Pay. Mine needed the Zip Code of the payment center on the statement for mailing a payment, + account #.

rooeez wrote:

Under the "Bill Pay" tab there is a link at the bottom to "Manage Pay To/From Accounts." Click that then you can add the bank that you want to pay your BofA account from. Give enough time to verify the account, sometimes they have to make deposits, wait, then you verify the amount.

Yeah, that was it. When I try that I get an error message "400 Bad Request". I'll stick with paying my Cash Rewards CC with my credit union's Bill Pay.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know paying online is ultra convenient, but you can go to a BOA atm and make the payment by cash or check using your cc (no pin needed).
Message 6 of 19
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

I've never had a problem paying my BoA card, and have never had any deposit accounts with BoA.

It must just be the automated "Bill Pay" system that has a problem.  I'm sure if you were pushing from an outside account instead of trying to pull from BoA, it would work fine.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem. Only way I was able to pay my bill this month was over the phone. I can't seem to figure it out. 

Message 8 of 19
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

Wow, a lot of people leaving BoA. (due to the closing of ebanking accounts?)

Bill Pay is a feature of your checking account, enabling you to move money from the checking account to a biller. So no bill pay makes sense.

You can use bill pay from your checking account at a different bank, or use mint bills.

but you're right, the 'Make Payment' button should work, and not send you to the banking bill pay..

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 9 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am having the same problem. Only way I was able to pay my bill this month was over the phone. I can't seem to figure it out. 

BoA does their best so you can't figure it out. I had a couple external accounts setup when I had a BoA checking account. The other day I tried Transfer to use one of them to pay my BoA Cash Rewards - they're all removed and instead I get a page telling me why I should open a BoA Core Checking account. No thanks, I just use my credit union's Bill Pay service.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.