Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this be done?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can this be done?

Hi, I'm new to this site and pretty new to understanding credit ratings and reporting, so please bear with me Smiley Happy I'm 23 and my credit history really only begins about 3 years ago, but any account I have opened has always been PIF and on time, so my actual history is about as good as its going to get for the length of time its been available. However, I received some medical services in 2003 while I was in college, and then transferred out of state shortly after. My mail was being forwarded so I assumed any unresolved billing issues would have gotten to me, but apparently not all of my mail made it to me, because on my credit reports there are two medical bills in collections that I knew nothing about. They're pretty small, about $350, so I can certainly pay them immediately. But I never received a single bill or phone call about it, and the collections agency apparently has my CURRENT address somehow. So I hate that this is on my credit report when I knew NOTHING about it... I would have paid years ago if I knew. I did some research and what I read led me to believe that while the credit bureaus can't do anything to remove the info they have, obviously, the collections agency could choose to delete it if they wanted to. But when I called to ask them, they said that was untrue. Which is right? I realize the information is technically accurate and i'm not looking for "credit repair." I just think its an unfair addition to my credit report since it says NOTHING about my actual willingness to pay my bills, know what I mean? So I'm just wondering if it IS accurate that the collection agency could arrange to remove the info upon payment if they wanted to. Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can this be done?

write them a PFD letter saying that you will pay this balance in full only if they can agree to remove this entry from each of the credit bureaus. I was in a same situation few months ago. I ended up in ER in may 2000. NEVER EVER received a bill or anything for it. 6 years later a collection appears on my credit reports about a $96 balance. I told them that they need to send me a bill or something but they never did. I ended up paying. I should have waited a couple of months because i discovered myFICO Forums like a month after that. I should have attempted to get PFD.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mommy2Kayla wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this site and pretty new to understanding credit ratings and reporting, so please bear with me Smiley Happy I'm 23 and my credit history really only begins about 3 years ago, but any account I have opened has always been PIF and on time, so my actual history is about as good as its going to get for the length of time its been available. However, I received some medical services in 2003 while I was in college, and then transferred out of state shortly after. My mail was being forwarded so I assumed any unresolved billing issues would have gotten to me, but apparently not all of my mail made it to me, because on my credit reports there are two medical bills in collections that I knew nothing about. They're pretty small, about $350, so I can certainly pay them immediately. But I never received a single bill or phone call about it, and the collections agency apparently has my CURRENT address somehow. So I hate that this is on my credit report when I knew NOTHING about it... I would have paid years ago if I knew. I did some research and what I read led me to believe that while the credit bureaus can't do anything to remove the info they have, obviously, the collections agency could choose to delete it if they wanted to. But when I called to ask them, they said that was untrue. Which is right? I realize the information is technically accurate and i'm not looking for "credit repair." I just think its an unfair addition to my credit report since it says NOTHING about my actual willingness to pay my bills, know what I mean? So I'm just wondering if it IS accurate that the collection agency could arrange to remove the info upon payment if they wanted to. Thanks!

Hi Mommy  welcome.
read this thread by Tuscani. You will find info. on CRAs and CA.  For myself...I never talk to a CA!!! Send everything by mail CMRRR. and keep copies of everythig!

Before sending a PFD... I would send a DV. They must validate that it is yours!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-02-2007 05:21 PM
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! Do those letters really work, do you think? The man I spoke with at the CA seemed to be under the genuine impression that he legally cannot make any changes to my credit report. He told me that the info HAS to legally stay on my report for 7 years... From what I understand, the truth is actually that it can stay for a MAX of 7 years, but there's nothing stating that it ever even legally needed to be reported in the first place, or that they can't remove it if they chose to. I have called 3 times and each time I've been connected to the same person, and I'm fairly certain its a VERY small CA, so i'm not sure how much a letter might help address the issue, since it will probably just be read by him again. I'm definitely going to try writing to them, i'm just wondering how amiable most CAs are to making changes like this? I really appreciate the info, thanks again!
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, i thought of one more question. The entries are scheduled to be removed in 2010 as of right now. Will paying them extend that? I'm afraid that the new date of deletion won't be until 7 years after I pay it, if i can't get it removed. Thanks!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In all honesty, if the collection agency doesn't agree to a PFD, screw them, don't pay it.  There's NO benefit to paying a collection if it remains on your credit report, whether it shows a balance of zero or $3400.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

As i said  no talking to a CA. They LIE!!!!!
 read all the threads listed on top in yellow.

1) If a creditor reports to a CRA  all info. MUST be correct!  A creditor does NOT have to report to a CRA (under law)
2) Creditor may change any info. on your CR ONLY if the new info. is correct

The man LIED to you. He could remove the whole thing if he wanted to.

Do everything in writting & mail CMRRR.

The date that it will fall off CR can be gotten from the CRA.
I have a CA that is changing the date OPENED  to this year........that is not correct.What they are trying to do is pressure us into paying. The DOFD  does not change no matter how many times that the debt is sold!!!!!

YES the letters work. Everyone has different issues & must handle a little different from each other.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-02-2007 06:17 PM
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mommy, Do you know your SOL in your state? This is important when dealing with a CA or any creditor.  In my opinion.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the 1st time you saw the account was when you pulled your credit report the best thing to do is to DV the CA. This will make them PROVE that they own the debt or are authorized to collect the debt. Do this by CMRRR. IF they do a proper validation then you can send your PFD letter.

I do not believe that you should not pay a collection just because they won't do a PFD. For instance, if you are trying to buy a house, good luck getting a loan if you have any open unpaid collections. Most CAs do not keep your information after you pay your debt, either in full or as a settlement. This gives you the opportunity to dispute as "To be removed after payment received. Payment made on xx-xx-xx". I paid a $3500 collection in Jun. The CA stated no to my PFD. I paid it, then 2 weeks later disputed it and they did not validate and it was removed off all 3 of my CRA reports.

DV is always your 1st course of action, especially if you are ready and capable of paying the debt. If the CA can not validate you are not legally required to pay it. Save your money for your daughter not a CA if you can. Good luck.....
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would find out who the original creditor is.

If they are stating they can not delete- in my experiance this means they do not own the debt and are obligated to the OC to report.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.