cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

After reading up on how employers can use your credit score to determine whether or not to hire you, I was wondering how much of an impact my credit score would have on  me as  a college student. Sadly I realized my state doesn't allow credit checks so I was thinking about putting my score on my resume to see if that will boost up my chances. I'm not sure if that will help me or not but it's just a thought.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

I am an HR Manager.  Don't.  Just Don't.  I would find it pretentious and irrelevant.  If you live in a state where credit reports are not allowed to be pulled then it doesn't matter anyway.  HR knows that and they don't consider it as part of their qualifications.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do anything you want.  That's just not advisable.  It might be viewed as pretentious, as the other poster aptly stated.

Message 3 of 17
fritscher
Regular Contributor

i dont think that is a good idea to do that..

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not include my credit score on my resume. If a potential employer's performs a background check that includes credit review they will typically soft-pull your reports. If applying for a sensitive government position or Federal employment, the Feds will soft-pull all 3 reports and will ask you to explain any derogatory information, delinquency, collections, recent bankruptcy, etc. 

Message 5 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not include my credit score on my resume. If a potential employer's performs a background check that includes credit review they will typically soft-pull your reports. If applying for a sensitive government position or Federal employment, the Feds will soft-pull all 3 reports and will ask you to explain any derogatory information, delinquency, collections, recent bankruptcy, etc. 

Yeah, I would not included my scredit score on an application, it could be taken the wrong way - like you've had problems in the past and trying to hide that. As for a government position I was hired by my local county just 1 year after my BK7 was discharged, in a position where I am unsupervised and collect money from customers. So I don't think they pulled my credit report, and I doubt if AZ has a law prohibiting employers from pulling your credit report, the Arizona government is pretty pro-business and 'screw you' little guy.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually don't have as much of a problem with this as most people above.

I personally wouldn't do it myself, but I would find it quite interesting when reading a job applicants resume if they listed a FICO score.  Perhaps that's just because I'm a forum junkie here and am into that sort of thing.  It would however show financial responsibility to some degree, which depending on the job being applied for may or may not be worthwhile to present.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have interviewed hundreds of people after looking at resumes. I wouldnt care about your credit score and I would have no idea what they are looking for on credit report. That is for HR handle after we give OK to hire. Along with drug testing and criminal records check. It's not like if you say you have 800 fico they won't run your credit report.

Message 8 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Credit scores can change almost daily, if for no other reason than simple aging of accounts.

Also, a potential employer may wonder whether a posted score was provided prior to some consumer actions that might have resulted in significant score changes.

I would not put a raw score number into a resume.

There is nothing wrong with offering to provide authority for an employment check of your score if you expect that the job will require a credit check.

Message 9 of 17
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Sorry for the tangent, but OP's question made me curious: are there really states which do not "legalize" credit pulls? How is one's creditworthiness assessed when applying for a credit card, or getting a loan?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.