Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

After reading up on how employers can use your credit score to determine whether or not to hire you, I was wondering how much of an impact my credit score would have on  me as  a college student. Sadly I realized my state doesn't allow credit checks so I was thinking about putting my score on my resume to see if that will boost up my chances. I'm not sure if that will help me or not but it's just a thought.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-765,Eq08-749,Tu08-741
Goal Score: Ex08-760,Eq08-760,Tu08-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

I am an HR Manager.  Don't.  Just Don't.  I would find it pretentious and irrelevant.  If you live in a state where credit reports are not allowed to be pulled then it doesn't matter anyway.  HR knows that and they don't consider it as part of their qualifications.

Sept 15 -- All mid 400s
Jan 16 -- All mid 500s
Current: Knocking on 700s
Frequent Contributor

You can do anything you want.  That's just not advisable.  It might be viewed as pretentious, as the other poster aptly stated.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

i dont think that is a good idea to do that..

Established Contributor

I would not include my credit score on my resume. If a potential employer's performs a background check that includes credit review they will typically soft-pull your reports. If applying for a sensitive government position or Federal employment, the Feds will soft-pull all 3 reports and will ask you to explain any derogatory information, delinquency, collections, recent bankruptcy, etc. 

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

AhmedInMD wrote:

I would not include my credit score on my resume. If a potential employer's performs a background check that includes credit review they will typically soft-pull your reports. If applying for a sensitive government position or Federal employment, the Feds will soft-pull all 3 reports and will ask you to explain any derogatory information, delinquency, collections, recent bankruptcy, etc. 

Yeah, I would not included my scredit score on an application, it could be taken the wrong way - like you've had problems in the past and trying to hide that. As for a government position I was hired by my local county just 1 year after my BK7 was discharged, in a position where I am unsupervised and collect money from customers. So I don't think they pulled my credit report, and I doubt if AZ has a law prohibiting employers from pulling your credit report, the Arizona government is pretty pro-business and 'screw you' little guy.

Fico 08: 720/721/719 TU/EX/EQ
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

I actually don't have as much of a problem with this as most people above.

I personally wouldn't do it myself, but I would find it quite interesting when reading a job applicants resume if they listed a FICO score.  Perhaps that's just because I'm a forum junkie here and am into that sort of thing.  It would however show financial responsibility to some degree, which depending on the job being applied for may or may not be worthwhile to present.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

I have interviewed hundreds of people after looking at resumes. I wouldnt care about your credit score and I would have no idea what they are looking for on credit report. That is for HR handle after we give OK to hire. Along with drug testing and criminal records check. It's not like if you say you have 800 fico they won't run your credit report.

January 15 2017 Experian 527 Transunion 528 Equifax 529
August 1 2017 Experian 702, Transunion 711, Equifax 715

BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards , Cap One Quicksilver, Lendup L card, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.. 130k total credit lines.
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
0 Kudos

Credit scores can change almost daily, if for no other reason than simple aging of accounts.

Also, a potential employer may wonder whether a posted score was provided prior to some consumer actions that might have resulted in significant score changes.

I would not put a raw score number into a resume.

There is nothing wrong with offering to provide authority for an employment check of your score if you expect that the job will require a credit check.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry for the tangent, but OP's question made me curious: are there really states which do not "legalize" credit pulls? How is one's creditworthiness assessed when applying for a credit card, or getting a loan?

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.