cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you authorize a soft inquiry before applying for a loan or credit card?

tag
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

Can you authorize a soft inquiry before applying for a loan or credit card?

To avoid a hard inquiry, can you authorize a soft inquiry prior to applying for a loan or credit card?  Is this legal?  Will they even consider it?  Does it provide them with the same information required to make a decision?  Just curious if this wouldn't be another safe approach to acquiring credit without doing damage to your CR.

Thunderseven.....TU-8 835 (11/02/2023) EQ-8 822 (11/02/2023) EX-8 828 (11/02/2023) I don't ask for much, the truth will do just fine....
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

Re: Can you authorize a soft inquiry before applying for a loan or credit card?

Will look elsewhere for my answer.  Thanks anyway!
Thunderseven.....TU-8 835 (11/02/2023) EQ-8 822 (11/02/2023) EX-8 828 (11/02/2023) I don't ask for much, the truth will do just fine....
Message 2 of 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Thunderseven wrote:

To avoid a hard inquiry, can you authorize a soft inquiry prior to applying for a loan or credit card?  Is this legal?  Will they even consider it?  Does it provide them with the same information required to make a decision?  Just curious if this wouldn't be another safe approach to acquiring credit without doing damage to your CR.

no.  in order to apply for new credit any issuer will insist on placing a hard inquiry. an exception that comes to mind is with CU's where they may pull a hard for membership application and then let you subsequently apply for products under that one initial membership app. hard inquiry.

for credit limit increases, once you have already obtained a cl, it is up to the individual issuer whether to soft or hard for a cli and typically they will not be responsive to requests for softs if it is their policy to hard for cli's.

Message Edited by score_building on 11-04-2008 08:24 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 4
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

I do have an application for a CC with my CU, but I'm holding it until I hear back on a couple of letters I sent last week.  I'd like to see a few more changes on my CR before applying.  Thanks for the info.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.