cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you be reported 30 days late, when payment was receive 2 days later?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you be reported 30 days late, when payment was receive 2 days later?

I have a question on a 30 days late. Lets say your payment for your credit card was due on May 13. Payment was receive on May 15. Yet the credit card company reported as 30 days late. Is this correct in any way. Can they report you as being 30 days late, when your payment was receive 2 days later.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Can you be reported 30 days late, when payment was receive 2 days later?

They can do it but isn't standard industry practice.

Be contrite and try for GW removal, if no luck I would take additional steps.

Watch the timing of your payments like a hawk.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 7
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, they can report you for being one day late.

Recommend you contact Issuer as soon as possible to see if they will allow some “Good Will” by removing the late payment from your credit report.

Each Creditor has their own policy about being late and when it’s reported.

Never will hurt to call.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is someting tha t should ha been included in credit card to ban the reporting of late payments under 30 days This was the problem with universal default, creditors had no way to who were really delinquent and who were just late. so instead of fixing it, they declare it to be evil and and nerf the credit card industry to mange risk which results in higher prices
Message 4 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

There was an article on yahoo about that this week.  They can and will report the late payment  if you're not considered a good customer. 

Message 5 of 7
John1956
Valued Member

Personally, it does not make sense to me. Last time I checked, 2 IS NOT EQUAL TO 30. I have had late payments up to 29 days NOT reported as 30. I am not a lawyer, but, something doesn't smell right to me about this. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try to find a lawyer on line that would answer this question (for free, that is) Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I strongly disagree.  Your CCC was, apparently, wrong!

No, they cannot report you for being one day late of your due date.   That is simply incorrect.

I will quote you direct language from the CRA reportiung manual:

"when reporting delinquent accounts, the "clock" for a 30-day delinquency starts 30 days after the due date, as opposed to the billing date."

(Credit Reporting Resources Guide, (c) 2006, Consumer Data Industry Assoc.)

Being late on an OC payment is NOT the same as permitting the OC to report a late to a CRA.  Apples and oranges.

Here is the way the system works.

Your CCC issued a biliing statement in April that set a due date for minimum payment as of May 13th.

You then paid what was billed, but  two days late.

What that subjected you to were the terms of your account agreement with the OC, which probably permitted them to do vial things to you, such as imposing late payment fees,, and maybe resetting all of your acccounts to the max % APR.  Those are things between you and the OC.

But credit reporting of a late to a CRA is NOT based on being 30-days late from a billing date.  It is based only upon a reporting of non-payment that extends more than 30-days from the due date. 

If paid within two days after the due date ,their credit reporting was clearly improper.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.