Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you dispute an inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you dispute an inquiry?

In January, hubby and I refi'd our home. Just got a letter from Citi Mortgage that they bought our loan. This happens all the time and is no biggie. BUT, they also did a hard pull on all 3 bureaus, obviously as a part of their review process before buying the loan.

Now we each have 3 more hard pulls on our CRs.  There is too much time between those pulls and the ones from when we originally obtained the loan for them to be considered as one, and part of the same rate shopping event.

Is there a way to get these off our reports? We did not authorize these hard pulls. This was obviously our original lender selling the loan to Citi, and Citi checking our credit before finalizing the deal. We weren't a party to any of that, though. Can we get these off, and if so, how?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you dispute an inquiry?

have you called them and asked them to recode them and under what authorization they pulled? maybe you signed something, doesn't sound right though.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:
have you called them and asked them to recode them and under what authorization they pulled? maybe you signed something, doesn't sound right though.

Trust me, I signed NOTHING. I was in escrow for over 30 years, and while I may not know a whole lot about a whole lot of things, I DO know loan documents. There was no authorization for this in the loan package and had there been, I wouldn't have signed it.

Citi just appeared out of the blue and without warning.

I don't understand your suggestions.  What do you mean "recode" them? (That's one of those many things I DON'T know about. Smiley Wink  )
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

there are hard inq's and soft inq's (ones that do not ding your score). an account review can be a soft inq, and i suspect these should have been.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:
there are hard inq's and soft inq's (ones that do not ding your score). an account review can be a soft inq, and i suspect these should have been.

So, if I understand you correctly, I should call them and tell them that I believe the hard pull was an error and ask that they contact the CRAs to correct this?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would, but be courteous. they will likely (or should) know that it's against the law pull a report, unless they have permissable purpose.

hopefully a phone call and/or letter could clear this up.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:
i would, but be courteous. they will likely (or should) know that it's against the law pull a report, unless they have permissable purpose.

hopefully a phone call and/or letter could clear this up.

One more pesky question --- should I call the 800 number they gave me for the loan servicing department, the phone number on the credit reports, or both?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'd start with loan servicing and then work my way up.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.