cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you recommend someone at Equifax I can speak to?

tag
d333moore
Established Member

Can you recommend someone at Equifax I can speak to?

I have been disputing an account from Midland since August 2014. Finally through a post I found here I was able to get them to agree to remove the account. They sent a letter and response saying that the account would be deleted. I forwarded this letter to all of the credit bureau's who removed the account and within 24 hours Midland added the account back on with extensive notes. I contacted Midland they sd that they did not and that it could take 65 days for this to be removed because they sent a letter to the bureau's ro remove. Almost three weeks later and many phone calls Equifax is still saying the account is under investigation. I have sent in proof from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Midland and I am trying to have this removed as quickly as possible so that I can be pre approved for a mortgage. Please recommend a number, a person or something if you know of anything. Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you recommend someone at Equifax I can speak to?

Creditors can just as quickly delete tradelines (TLs) as they can add them. Assuming Midland owns the debt / authorized to collect, they're giving you the run-around. Midland simply needs to delete the TL, and the issue is solved. Some debt collectors will suggest disputing with the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) to avoid updating the TL themselves, which costs money...

Also, some debt collectors don't want consumers to know how easy it is for TLs to be deleted; don't want to acknowledge how shoddy their collection / record-keeping practices really are.

Midland is bad news, and am so glad their TLs are finally falling off my reports. You mention disputing since 2014, but how old is the original debt?  If it's early 2009 or older, easiest approach is simply wait several months for the TL to fall off your reports.

On a related note, be aware when applying for a mortgage that other creditors / debt collectors can detect such activity. Can result in debt collectors coming out of the woodwork; less agreeable to negotiating discounted settlement nor PFD, since they know how important "clean" reports are for getting favorable mortgage rates / terms.

Focus on Midland to get it deleted - they added it, they can delete it An intent to sue letter and/or BBB complaint might do the trick - read other posts for other approaches. Personally, I'd suggest be the squeaky wheel - call Midland every day and send many letters insisting they follow-through on their settlement agreement to delete the TL.

Message 2 of 3
d333moore
Established Member

Re: Can you recommend someone at Equifax I can speak to?

@ronpa - Very good information! Thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.