cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you recon inquiries even if you are approved?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you recon inquiries even if you are approved?

Hi guys! I'm new here and learning the ropes about building a strong credit port while maintaining a good credit score. Recently I applied for 5 cards and got approved on all of them. 2 with Chase, 1 Barclay, and 2 with Citi. I have only seen on Credit Karma that Barclay was the only one to do a hard pull. 

I wanted to know 2 things, 

Do people usually try to recon hard pulls/inquiries even if they are approved? 

and

What's a good source to keep track of inquiries, I have been using Credit Karma, not sure if there's anything better that anyone can suggest. 

Thanks so much and any help is appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Can you recon inquiries even if you are approved?

CreditKarma only shows TU inquiries.  You can recon inquiries but may require more HPs and no guarantees you will be approved.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldnmn wrote:

CreditKarma only shows TU inquiries.  You can recon inquiries but may require more HPs and no guarantees you will be approved.

Hey coldnmn Smiley Happy Thanks for the reply! So to make sure I got yah, doing a recon can result in more HPs? Also do you know of a good source I can use to keep track of inquiries? 

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Hey coldnmn Smiley Happy Thanks for the reply! So to make sure I got yah, doing a recon can result in more HPs? Also do you know of a good source I can use to keep track of inquiries? 

Thanks for the help!

You can sign up for the FAKO monitoring of each bureau...

TU - Credit Karma and WisePiggy

EX - Credit Sesame, Credit.com

EQ - Quizzle

But really the best way is to do an annual credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com That way you know what's on each bureau, for sure. You can also use Credit Monitoring websites such as Credit Secure (from American Express), USAA credit monitoring, or MyPrivacyMatters -- there are many more.

Any reconsideration can result in more hard pulls of your report. 

Message 4 of 9
Chris679
Established Contributor

You cannot get legit inquires removed. I agree that getting your free annual reports is the best plan unless you want to pay.
Message 5 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Chris679 wrote:
You cannot get legit inquires removed. I agree that getting your free annual reports is the best plan unless you want to pay.

Definitely, didn't think that they meant asking that the inquiries be removed... that definitely doesn't happen. lol 

Message 6 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I meant you can recon credit limits not inquires and it could result in more inquires. Me bad!

edit: There are good suggestions above to track your inquires. I use CreditKarma, Creditsesame, Quizzle and annualfree credit report.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you are approved there is no way you can remove an inquiry. Luckily they only have a real effect for 6 months, and drop off totally after 2 years.

The better strategy is not to go too crazy all at once with apps Smiley Happy then you won't have to care how many inquiries you have. Only apply for cards you can really get a good use out of - for YOU, not necessarily just because it is popular.

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys! I'm new here and learning the ropes about building a strong credit port while maintaining a good credit score. Recently I applied for 5 cards and got approved on all of them. 2 with Chase, 1 Barclay, and 2 with Citi. I have only seen on Credit Karma that Barclay was the only one to do a hard pull. 

Keep in mind that CK is based on data in your TU report.  Not all creditors pull TU.  The others probably pulled EX and/or EQ.

@Anonymous wrote:

Do people usually try to recon hard pulls/inquiries even if they are approved? 

I have no idea what people usually do or don't do but, as stated above, there's no basis for removing a legitimate inquiry.  If you want to avoid inquiries then not apping or requesting CLI's will prevent you from incurring them.

@Anonymous wrote:

What's a good source to keep track of inquiries, I have been using Credit Karma, not sure if there's anything better that anyone can suggest. 

You can use a CMS or pull your reports as suggested.  You could also note when you initiate something that results in an HP.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.