cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you request a CCC to a remove an inq from your CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you request a CCC to a remove an inq from your CR?

Here's the story...

When we signed up for Sam's Club back in Nov 14' we were asked if we wanted to apply for their CC. Somehow instead of getting a MC they gave a store card, oh well we lived with it. Well we were in the store back in Sept. 15' and our membership was due in a few weeks, the lady asked us if we wanted to charge the fee to our card, we said sure. Well she comes back with the card and says she can't charge it to a Sam's Store card. She offered to sign us up for the Sam's Mastercard but we were denied. We waited for the letter and the reason for denial was we already had a Sam's Club credit account. WHAT????

Long story short...we found this forum and we now know about recon but I'm sure we can't recon now. Can we request that they remove the inq. because what we thought was that they would just close the Sam's Club Store card and issue us a Sam's Club MC?

TIA

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you request a CCC to a remove an inq from your CR?

Yes, they can remove the hard inquiry from your CR. And they may be willing to do so.

But it's probably not worth the effort. The negative effect of the inquiry is mostly gone. Most of it goes away over the first six months and it ceases to affect your score at all after one year. (It does remain on the report for two years, so it will be seen in a manual review.) Also, depending on how many other inquiries you've had in the last six months, this one may not have affected your score at all.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA has already sent them a copy of the credit report, so will want to retain the factual record of having done so.

They wont "delete" the inquiry.  They consider, and rightfully so, that inquiries become factual once the toothpaste is out of the tube.

However, you can contact the credtior and request that they get the inquiry re-coded as soft.

That is, for all practical purposes, the same as a deletion, as it removes the inquiry from any credit report other than one you obtain.

That also removes it from scoring.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them they're looking into a deletion or at least a re-coding as a soft pull Smiley Happy Thanks a bunch both of you.

Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

A creditor may agree to remove or recode under certain conditions but don't rely on this.  If you want to avoid the HP then avoid applying.  Also, keep in mind that HP's are a small factor and effect tapers and falls off quickly.

Message 5 of 6
bartoe
New Contributor

Before all the credit changes, I applied for a Best Buy Credit Card.  On their application (this was in 2005 I believe) it asked if I wanted an HSBC credit card.  I crossed it out and wrote no, handed it back and the lady said I needed to sign somewhere near that identifying that I did not want the HSBC credit card.  3-weeks later I got my Best Buy Store Card AND the HSBC credit card.  I called the company advised that it was to be canceled asap as i did not apply for it only the BB Store Card.  She cancelled it for me.  I waited until it showed up on my CR, filed a dispute and talked to the company EXPLAINED to them exactly what happened and they actually did remove it from my CR.  They weren't too happy about it but when I told them that the practice that the store rep did was illegal (i worked at a financial institution so i knew the ins and outs) that I was filing a complaint they were then happy to do what I wanted Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.