cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One CO Account (Portfolio Recovery Associates Collection Letter)

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Cap One CO Acct (Portfolio Recovery Associates Collection ) - critique letter

Good luck on this, busywoman --looks like you've got a lot a help here. I have absolutely no knowledge of how these work, but I would remind you that when you print out your letter, do NOT sign it. The truly scum-sucking CA's have been known to scan signatures off of one document and on to another, suddenly showing that you "signed" a contract obligating you to God-knows-what. Smiley Mad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One CO Acct (Portfolio Recovery Associates Collection )

I'm  resurrecting this collection concern because I received another letter from the CA dtd  12/2/07.

They are not  acknowleding receipt of my previous letter but are advising  me that this  is  a  "serious  matter" andinterest continues to accrue.

I previously provided the date when this account was 30 days late instead of the DOFD(120 days) which was 02/2000 (some  previous reports show 01/2000).

I will send another letter to them tomorrow CMRRR but would like to know if it is at all possible that they can still put this on my CR's.

I think that they are just trying to get me to pay this but I do need to understand if there is still any risk of this being reported.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tweak as needed!!!

[Subscriber]

[Address]

[City state ZIP]
[Collector]

[Address]

[City State ZIP]

[Phone number]
[Date] Certified Mail No.: _____________

Re ;  inquiry dated ____: your file # _____
Greetings:
Thank you for your recent inquiry. This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed.

The Rules Of Civil Procedure of my State of (State ) provide a Statute Of Limitations limiting the time frame for any legal collection activities.

Include the following underlined paragraphs for credit card accounts

Please be advised that under the TILA § 15 a credit card account is legally defined as an "open" account.

The Act is in Title I of the Consumer Credit Protection Act and is implemented by the Federal Reserve Board via Regulation Z (12 C.F.R. Part 226).

The Regulation has effect and force of federal law.

Open-end Credit Transactions:

Open-end credit includes bank and gas company credit cards, stores' revolving charge accounts, and cash- advance checking accounts.

Typical features:

Creditors reasonably expect the consumer to make repeated transactions.

Creditors may impose finance charges on the unpaid balance.

As the consumer pays the outstanding balance, the amount of credit is once again available to the consumer

Under my State of ________Code #__________
the subject account has a _________ year limit for filing any legal action for collection.

Check your State in the individual State listings to see if it is a "cause of action"(date of first default) or "last item"( date of last mutual activity) State. Use the CORRECT "starting" date for your State
The starting date of this statute of limitations being the( date of first default) (date of the last mutual activity), with the ORIGINAL CREDITOR of the subject account.

Records indicate that this date on the subject account #___________ with (creditor name) is __ ___ ____.

This notification is formal notice to you that any filing of such action by you, or your representitives or assigns, is therefore time-barred.

Under the FDCPA, any such action, or threat of such action is a violation of the law,and grounds for fines and civil sanctions.

807.  False or misleading representations

A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt.

Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

(2)  The false representation of-

(A)  the character, amount, or legal status of any debt; or

(4)  The representation or implication that nonpayment of any debt will result in the arrest or imprisonment of any person or the seizure, garnishment, attachment, or sale of any property or wages of any person unless such action is lawful and the debt collector or creditor intends to take such action.

(5)  The threat to take any action that cannot legally be taken or that is not intended to be taken.

This notification to you is of applicable legal statutes, codes and laws. Other Federal and State laws may apply.

Under the laws of my State,(statute # if available) continued collection activities, including reporting, verification or reinsertion of accounts. beyond their legal collection date to any consumer credit reporting agency, may be considered extortion and/or fraud and subject to criminal as well as civil prosecution.

Please note that proof of your receipt of this notice may be used by me or my legal representative in further action.

I also reserve the right to forward a copy of this letter,and any other pertinent material to the _____(CA lawyer's State) Bar Association (or state attorney General)

Please also be advised that this letter is not only a formal dispute, but a request that you cease and desist any and all collection activities, and are barred from selling assigning or transferring any and all data regarding this account to any other party subsidiary or affiliate.

Your receipt of this letter will be considered as having granted consent to the taping of any and all telephone calls to me at my home or business by you or your agents or assigns

Best regards,

[Subscriber]print or type name

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much Lady Scarlet,

So other than this letter and barring any illegal activities by the CA should I be reasonably confident that this won't appear on my CR's?
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can't report if the DOFD is 1/2000

This does not mean they can not attempt to collect.
If you letter does not make them go away- might need a FOAD letter.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm resurrecting this collection concern because I received another letter from the CA dtd 12/2/07.
They are not acknowleding receipt of my previous letter but are advising me that this is a "serious matter" andinterest continues to accrue.
I previously provided the date when this account was 30 days late instead of the DOFD(120 days) which was 02/2000 (some previous reports show 01/2000).
I will send another letter to them tomorrow CMRRR but would like to know if it is at all possible that they can still put this on my CR's.
I think that they are just trying to get me to pay this but I do need to understand if there is still any risk of this being reported.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.