Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One QS1 closed not reporting age anymore

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One QS1 closed not reporting age anymore

I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else before. I had two Cap One QuickSilver One cards (I know, silly to have two, it was an app error on my side, I accidentally hit the button twice and got two cards instead of one Smiley Very Happy). The time came where I wanted to combine balances and close one. Each one was just over 3 years old. So I did that. I went ahead and saw that it had increased the balance on one, and closed the account on the other, but now my AAoA has dropped by almost a year. So it's showing 1yr 10mo instead of just over 3 years. 

Full disclosure, I'm seeing this on my Credit Karma profile. Has anyone else experienced the account age just fall off like that, or is it just the Vantage Score reporting different than how it would report for FICO?

I was under the impression when an old account closes, that it continues to age. It is showing on my report as "closed by consumer" as it should be. 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One QS1 closed not reporting age anymore

I think CK reports the avg of open accounts only. It doesn't account for your closed TLs like other reports.

Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Credit Karma's monitoring software excludes closed accounts from one's AAoA despite the fact that both FICO and VantageScore count them. Some sites that provide FICO scores have been known to make this error too. If you have another monitoring site that offers age stats, check that. But be aware that it could be right or wrong. Smiley Happy For what it's worth, myFICO gets it right, but you may not wish to pay the fee just to see that number.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks imaximous and HeavenOhio! That eases my worries just a bit. It'm definitely glad to be down one fee, and am going to try to PC the remaining QS1 into a standard QS or something. 

It's especially not a huge worry because I'm in the garden now (or for now Smiley Very Happy). I've gotten some prime cards that were on my list with nice limits, bought a house, and just leased a car. So there's really not need for me to make any more moves in terms of credit any time soon. I can just let these ages grow from here. It's just a shock to see the age drop so much. It was kind of like a badge of honor for me, seeing how long I've maintained  those accounts. Of course all of the moves I've made with ym credit over the last six months have all caused little dings to that number, lol. But the absense of that one account caused a big drop. 

Message 4 of 8
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Thanks imaximous and HeavenOhio! That eases my worries just a bit. It'm definitely glad to be down one fee, and am going to try to PC the remaining QS1 into a standard QS or something. 

It's especially not a huge worry because I'm in the garden now (or for now Smiley Very Happy). I've gotten some prime cards that were on my list with nice limits, bought a house, and just leased a car. So there's really not need for me to make any more moves in terms of credit any time soon. I can just let these ages grow from here. It's just a shock to see the age drop so much. It was kind of like a badge of honor for me, seeing how long I've maintained  those accounts. Of course all of the moves I've made with ym credit over the last six months have all caused little dings to that number, lol. But the absense of that one account caused a big drop. 

I hear ya. I've been debating to close one of my 2 Cap1 accounts because it's my oldest TL since my BK in 2011. I wish I could use that one to move my other CL to, but Cap1 won't allow that. They want me to close my oldest card, a regular QS with 8K CL, and move that line to the Venture I got about a year ago with a 33K line. I think I might just bite the bullet and consolidate to one account with a $41K CL since I never use the QS. It's just hard to let go of the only card that I was approved for when I began my rebuild. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I can confirm that only happens with VS reports. Same thing happened to me when i closed my opensky card. The account is no longer included in my aaoa on CK. So now my aaoa on ck is way lower than it is on my fico reports.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

I hear ya. I've been debating to close one of my 2 Cap1 accounts because it's my oldest TL since my BK in 2011. I wish I could use that one to move my other CL to, but Cap1 won't allow that. They want me to close my oldest card, a regular QS with 8K CL, and move that line to the Venture I got about a year ago with a 33K line. I think I might just bite the bullet and consolidate to one account with a $41K CL since I never use the QS. It's just hard to let go of the only card that I was approved for when I began my rebuild. Smiley Very Happy

I completely understand this! I actually still have my Secured Cap One card from when I first started rebuilding that I refuse to let go of. $200 limit. Luckily I don't recall and annual fee on the secured card, so I just let it sit there and remind me of where I came from. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 7 of 8
imaximous
Valued Contributor

LOL. I almost want to take that card, frame it and hang it up on my wall.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.