Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One wheres the proof.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One wheres the proof.

Hi all I am new to Myfico. I really need so insight on getting my 2 Capital One cards paid off.  One Card I know I opened, they even sent proof with my sig.  Another card I never saw, they sent me bills with balances but no proof saying account was openend on line.  I saw someone else had a similar situation.  Is Cap one that bad.  How do we get proof? Will they be able to send a bill? How should I word any letters I send them I want to get a decent settlement amount. Minus any penalties.
Thank all for any help.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One wheres the proof.

I would start by checking you annual credit report -

Look for unknown addresses,

CapOne should still be able to tell you what address they sent to and where charges were made.
Message 2 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Cap1 is very workable IMHO as long as you take care of it before you settle.

I think you'll have a hard time though fighting anything account where the bills had been coming to your residence all along and you did not notice it until it was charged offt.

Still, if you call them and say you are disputing charges they will send you copies of all statements so you can review them and the charges.  Maybe something will click with the other account.  If so, I'd start the adventure by putting in disputes on all unrecognized charges (chargebacks) first.

They do have a fraud or security type department address on their site, and that may be an option on their CS menu as well.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, thanks, this is very helpful, I did get my annual credit report that's how I found out there was another Capital One account.  The address listed is my ex's. I guess I should let them know I never lived there. Then ask for them to do what verify it? They sent me 3 past statements, that's how I know the address.  For the card that was mine, do I send a Good Will letter. Do I make the settlement offer or does Capital One do that?
Thank you all sooooo much.  I feel like a refridgerator has been lifted.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Treat these completly seperate-

File a police report on the fraud account- send a copy to CAP1.
Notify them this was a fradulant account that you did not open.

Then work on the other account- settle, PFD, GW whatever it takes
Cap1 is known to sue -  

LifeChanges wrote:
Wow, thanks, this is very helpful, I did get my annual credit report that's how I found out there was another Capital One account.  The address listed is my ex's. I guess I should let them know I never lived there. Then ask for them to do what verify it? They sent me 3 past statements, that's how I know the address.  For the card that was mine, do I send a Good Will letter. Do I make the settlement offer or does Capital One do that?
Thank you all sooooo much.  I feel like a refridgerator has been lifted.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not go the GW route yet. When I saw a suspicious account on my report, i would first dispute online with all CRA's. They might just remove it no questions asked. If they don't, then go the GW route.
Message 6 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

rifleman wrote:
I would not go the GW route yet. When I saw a suspicious account on my report, i would first dispute online with all CRA's. They might just remove it no questions asked. If they don't, then go the GW route.

He's got 2 accounts, one is acknowledged.

The other is the infamous ex situation.

Darn ex's.  Smiley Tongue
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 11
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Investigative Solutions
Dispute a merchant charge
Capital One
Attn: Disputes
PO Box 85520
Richmond, VA 23285-5520

Fraud Operations
Capital One
PO Box 26074
Richmond, VA 23260-6074

General CS:  1-800-955-7070

Message 8 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

Does everyone hate Experian?   Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to.
Now it's my highest score.

MidnightVoice wrote:

SmartCookie wrote:

Does everyone hate Experian?   Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.