Established Member
roscoe211

Cap1 Playing Games

[ Edited ]
So I've had my Cap1 MC for about 7 months. I started with a 300$ cl, I got the automatic increase to $500 after three months. Since then I have been approved for the Amex business card with the unlimited 5% cash back on gas purchases with a 3000$ cl. I also have a Chase card which started at $400 cl, then I asked for a CLI after 6 months and they raised it to $3500, they said try again in 6 months and they will more than likely double that as long as I continue to pay in full every couple of months. I also have a WAMU MC with a $1500 cl.

I have a mortgage in good standing and an auto loan, but some baddies from 4-5 years ago when I was 18 and stupid.

SO I decided I no longer need my Orchard bank card at $300 and My Cap1 card. I closed my Orchard card.

Next I call Cap1, tell them I want to close my account. They ask why, I say due to low cl. They offer to raise it to a $1000 cl, I say no thanks just close it, it has a zero balance. The CSR agrees and reads the disclosure, I say "is that it, are we done?" She says yeah.

That was a week ago. I go onto Cap1's website today to check my account, to see if it is still open. Surprise, surprise... It shows I now have a $4500 cl!!!!! I thought it was closed?!?! The card is already cut up into a million pieces and in my garbage can. I was thinking about keeping it open and not using it just for the UTL benefits. Then I remembered, Cap1 doesn't report limits, just high balances.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with Cap1? I know they are bottom feeding scumbags, but this is just amazing and probably illegal.

Message Edited by roscoe211 on 06-22-2007 09:11 PM

Message Edited by roscoe211 on 06-22-2007 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

Re: Cap1 Playing Games

roscoe211 wrote:
Has anyone else had an experience like this with Cap1? I know they are bottom feeding scumbags, but this is just amazing and probably illegal.

Unless you can dig something outta FCRA, I doubt there's anything illegal about it. Just some of the games many of the CCCs play.

Is there a balance still on it or is it PIF?

I seem to recall Cap 1 won't actually close out an account and report it closed for some period of time. Might be a billing cycle. Might be as long as 90 days.
Established Contributor
ObsessedwithmyFico

lol...So I have to call CAP1 and tell them to cancel my cards before I can get a cli?:smileymad:
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

I doubt there is cause for concern. Just make sure you follow-up if it doesn't show as closed next month.
Valued Member
oracleicom

FYI...I have a Cap1 card and a rep told me a couple of months ago that they are going to start reporting cl starting the end of this year...I would just keep the card open and see what happens in a couple of months.  Plus I called a couple of days ago to dispute an inaccurate balance on my cr and info, and the rep told me to check my acct in 30 days it should show a cl being reported.
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:
lol...So I have to call CAP1 and tell them to cancel my cards before I can get a cli?:smileymad:

Heh, if they're gonna play rough like that, I'm crying Uncle.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+