Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One April Fools?

tag
DarkScythe
Valued Member

Capital One April Fools?

Hey there everyone,

It's been some time since I've poked around here, but I've read many great stories and helpful information from these forums whenever I had questions about any credit issues. With that in mind, I think I came across something fairly extraordinary today, and felt like sharing it.

I logged into my Capital One account today, as I typically do each day, mostly to check that no sudden pending charges appear which I never authorized, and then to just check the account offers page to see if anything appears there. The last time anything happened with that button was an offer to upgrade my card to the QuickSilver one, which I took (and then it said I wouldn't be eligible for any other offers for 6 months.) It hasn't been that long yet, though, but I still click on it out of habit.

In either case, I log in and before even being presented with my account page, there's a landing page, where I typically see an offer to go paperless, or some other advertisement. However, looking at it closer, it actually read:

You're a 5-star customer!

You've done a great job managing your account, so we think you qualify for a credit line increase.

I then checked the date, and sure enough, it was April 1. So I am thinking to myself, man this is some cruel joke.

It's also quite sad when a credit card company offers a CLI and my first reaction is that it's a joke.

But I figure, well, whatever, I'll play along, and click the button.

A bit of income info, and checking that they won't pull another inquiry on my CR, and I hit submit.

Lo and behold, they offered to give me a 5k increase from my 1.5k limit, for a total of 6.5k, which appeared in my account summary page.

At this point, I am expecting a message from Capital One tomorrow saying it was a joke, gotcha, it was actually a CLD, you now have a $500 limit.

One heck of a message to see on April Fool's Day, though.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
freak4tech
New Contributor

Re: Capital One April Fools?

report back tomorrow, that woul be one hel of a aprils fool joke though

Amex Business Gold NPSL ( 85k internal limit ) - AMEX Everyday $4200 - Chase Freedom $5500 - Discovery it $1300 - BOA Secured $4900 - Cap1 Sparks $1250 - Cap1 Spark Business $1500

2/18/2015
Fico EQ 682 - EX 691 - TU 699
1 boa baddie from 10/08 dying to get this removed
Message 2 of 6
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 6
DarkScythe
Valued Member

Thanks, guys!

I just checked again today, and the new CL is still there.

Mark me amazed; Seems Capital One still does the occasional CLI for people, despite all the horror stories. I had essentially accepted that I'd be stuck at 1.5k so this was a nice surprise.

FWIW to others who might be trying to find a pattern, my card is usually only used lightly for overseas purchases (no FTF, and cashback? Yes, please.) and I always PIF. It usually spends a few months at a time sitting at $0 balance though, since importing stuff is expensive and I try not to do it very often, and if I do, try to combine a bunch of stuff into one larger package.

Message 4 of 6
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

Congrats! I had an identical experience a couple of days ago that resulted in an increase from 10k to 15k despite limited usage.

Message 5 of 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

Congrats! I had an identical experience a couple of days ago that resulted in an increase from 10k to 15k despite limited usage.

Exact same thing here. I got the "5 star customer" banner and everything. $5k increase from $10k to $15k, too (though a $5k increase on OP's original $1.5k CL is much more impressive, percentagewise).

Weirder, it came only about six weeks after CapOne denied me for not using my card enough. Wonders never cease.

Mine didn't happen on April Fools Day, but I still could hardly believe it and also had to go back the next day to make sure I hadn't just dreamed the whole thing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.