Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CRA Reporting Question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CRA Reporting Question.

I have a Capital One credit card which I pay in full each month.  I recently pulled my free credit report for all 3 CRA and noticed that Capital One is not reporting my actual payments to any of the three agencies.  On the Equifax report, there are two sections back-to-back:  High Credit which shows $2849 for like 8 months and then a section below that shows Credit Limit of $2500.  Also payment history has some months where "no data" was reported.  So I guess I have 3 questions (Equifax is report I specifically asking about): 

1.  What is the difference between Actual Payments and Payment history? Actual payments has nothing populated, while Payment history has sporadic data populated. 

2.  High Credit can actually mean two things: a) Top credit limit or it can mean how much you are over your credit limit, but there is no delineation as to which it is when you look at the report.  To me it looks like the $2849 indicates over the limit, which if so, then this CR is wrong.  

3.  Is it acceptable that a credit card company would NOT report data for many months and then report again?  Can a customer not request they report monthly?

Since these reports carry so much weight for lending and customers, that these reporting agencies are allowed to leave data out without telling the whole story for a consumer.  Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One CRA Reporting Question.

I wouldn't get concerned at this point. Chase doesn't report that data either. It's a matter of the reports being ahead of the curve and being ready to accept that information once the card companies become able to provide it. If you look at the Experian and TransUnion reports, you'll see similar holes.

You might be interested in the discussion about "trended data" in this topic in the Scoring forum:

When will credit card company's begin using FICO 9?

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While creditors report the actual payments made by a consumer as well as the minimum payment that is normally due, those are not used in scoring, and are provided for manual review reference only.  Many commercial credit reports do not even provide the history of actual payments made. 

I would not be concerned.

Payment History Profile records the status of the account as of the month/year of the reporting, which will be paid/pays as agreed if the account is in good standing when that reporting is made, or will provide the delinquency status, such as 30-late, 60-late, or charged-off, as of the date of reporting.

The complete Payment History Profile is a string of data that goes back many months, and is used by FICO to determine the severity and age of prior derogs.

The FCRA does not mandate that creditors report to CRAs, or that they report each and every month.

It requires that what is reported must not knowingly be inaccurate, and that if information changes, updated reporting must be "promptly" provided so as to reflect its current accuracy.

It is not necessary that a creditor report each successive level of delinquency.  They can, for example, wait until an account is 90-days late before reporting, thus omitting reporting of a 30 and 60-late.  That is considered to be acceptable reporting.  Some creditors will even choose to omit any reporting of monthly delinquencies, and only report the delinquency when it becomes a charge-off.

You could challenge a payment history profile that omits obvious monthly lates, as FCRA 611 permits one to challenge the accuracy or completeness of reported information, but consumers will rarely do this, as the outcome will be the addition of more monthly delinquencies.  It is conventional and accepted as proper reporting for creditors to omit each and every level of delinquency.  I would not advise disputing that practice, as it is not to your benefit, and it has become the norm.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information.  I am not sure why I would want to dispute a delinquency not being on my report.  None of the missing data are deliquent payments.  I would want to dispute if it was deliquent when it wasn't for sure.  

The other question I had was related to High Credit, which I have since received an answer to.  I spoke to Equifax and the information reported on my report by my credit card company is inaccurate as I thought.  I will dispute that information.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.