Established Contributor
Irvin

Capital One Card Credit Limit

Okay...heres what i need help with...
I am trying to rebuild my credit after a horrible era where i messed up pretty bad. The only credit card i have open is a Capital One card with a $500 credit limit. I have had it for four years now and have never been late. Thing is..my "available credit" as it appears on my credit reports is only $240 because i believe Capital One reports my credit limit as what my high balance has been.
So, in order to have my "available credit" increased on the credit reports...i intentially charged $430 buck on this card which has an actual limit of $500.
Capital One issues my statements on 10th of every month. To what i understand and hope that i made a good decision in doing..is that they will report my high balance of $430 on 5/10/07 to each of the bureaus. I then plan on paying this entire amount before my June 2007 statement is issued.
Now, Can somebody tell me if it was a good move by me to increase by "available credit" from my credit reports? What should the effect on my credit score by because of this?

I tried to make sense of this question as much as possible...hope i didnt confuse many of you out there.

Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

Re: Capital One Card Credit Limit

Irvin - Yes, this seems to be the only known work-around for the CapOne-no-reporting-of-credit-limit problem. But now you'll need to keep your current balance under $50.  Why not ask for a credit limit increase? Sounds like you've got a great track record with them.  Then you can play the whole stupid game again.  :smileyhappy:
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}