Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Credit Card

Hi, I applied for a card with this company in an effort to begin re-establishing good credit. I got it in the mail. One of those pre-approved things. I did apply, but they have responded with a letter requesting SSN and mailing address. I've never seen this. Does look legit. Could be b/c I have a fraud alert in place. 1. Has anyone ever received a letter like this? 2. Is it a bad idea to apply for this kind of mail, pre-approved offer? 3. Is this a decent card to go with? Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Card

Yes, it is normal if you have a FA for them to ask for identification.

Beware of the mixed emotions on Cap 1.

Personally, I cannot complain. It's a starter card and it will help you get on your way. Be sure to pay on time with them. Don't go over the credit limit. Use them to get your scores higher so you can apply for credit with cards you may have a preference for...rewards...cash....set a goal for a card you would like to have. (Mine is BoA's Hello Kitty!!)

Since it is a starter card, it isn't going to grow with you. Let it serve it's purpose to show you are a credit worthy, responsible person.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

A fraud alert signals a CCC that someone has tried to open a credit account in your name.  By requesting verification, they are only trying to make sure that you are who you say you are. Some go through the Lexus questions.  Cooperate but beware, unless you are standing in a store presenting a ppic ID at the time of application, more than likely, you will be asked to verify each and everytime you apply for credit.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds reasonably, give the fraud alert. I guess I'm a bit nervous sending copy of my Social Security Card and copy of Ca. Driver's License.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

fn2bfit wrote:
It sounds reasonably, give the fraud alert. I guess I'm a bit nervous sending copy of my Social Security Card and copy of Ca. Driver's License.

Personally it is not info I would send through standard mail.  However, maybe fax or CMRR.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.