cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Declined (90 Fraud Alert customer service disaster)

tag
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Declined (90 Fraud Alert customer service disaster)

Here is an update for my application with Capital One:

I called Capital One this morning to inquire about my application status.  They told me they received it, but declined it because Equifax placed a 90 day fraud alert on my credit report.  I have challenged and cleaned up a lot of my negative tradelines on all 3 bureaus recently and Equifax did inform me they placed the alert.  Capital One then went on to tell me that because my updated phone # was not on the credit agencies they were not able to reach me and therefore declined me.  I was not happy because I placed all of my current info in the application and they could have easily called me.  They gave me the run around.  Maybe the earlier poster who told me to prepare for a customer service headache was right.  It really bothers me because they had all of my info in the application, especially my phone # for them to contact me.  Now I have a hard inquiry on my report and they told me there is nothing they can do, except for me to apply again and have another inquiry on my credit report.  I recently bought a new car and my financing company was able to do a fraud verification with me over the phone without difficulty, but it seems with CO this is a round about process?  There are so many moving parts and she kept bringing up the FTC and "laws" it is just sickening.  I think at this point I will not apply for anymore CC's until I get this 90 day fraud alert taken off and raise my score again.  I tried calling the TU and Equifax bureaus and they sent me over to India with no customer service skills.  They told me to write in to get the fraud alert taken off.  I don't think my score was hit that much, but my whole point with applying was because I was pre-qualified.  Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Declined (90 Fraud Alert customer service disaster)

Use the PM or just a post on FB page to get a response from the EO. Many have had good outcomes getting a response with decent follow up this way.

Message 2 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If you have a Facebook page go on Cap 1 Facebook page pm them explaining your problem. Give them your phone number and explain your problem. They will contact you and more then likely tell you they will get back to you. Then they will forward to the executive office. Good Luck!

edit: If your not on Facebook google email ceo cap1 and then email problem you will get same results but not as easy.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 11
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the info.  I went to fb and pm'd them, as well as emailed the ceo.  Let's see what happens.

Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 4 of 11
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@celticslegends wrote:

Thank you for the info.  I went to fb and pm'd them, as well as emailed the ceo.  Let's see what happens.

Please update us when you know something Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@celticslegends wrote:

Please update us when you know something Smiley Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They wrote back to me and said they are looking into it and will get back to me.  I suspect something will be done, but I just have to wait.  I will let everyone know the outcome.

Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Just to clarify regarding FAs, when one is placed on your CR's the creditor must use the 'contact me at ...' that is on your CR's not the number on your application.  If that section is blank, they cannot contact (or should not) use any other method to reach you. If you think about it, if you were the fraudulent applicant, getting around a FA would be having the creditor contact you at the number you provide rather than the number listed on your CR's 

Just to be clear, this number is listed in a different location than the personal data on your CR's. 

Message 7 of 11
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

This is a sign! Run! :-)

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 8 of 11
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Just to clarify regarding FAs, when one is placed on your CR's the creditor must use the 'contact me at ...' that is on your CR's not the number on your application.  If that section is blank, they cannot contact (or should not) use any other method to reach you. If you think about it, if you were the fraudulent applicant, getting around a FA would be having the creditor contact you at the number you provide rather than the number listed on your CR's 

Just to be clear, this number is listed in a different location than the personal data on your CR's. 

This is the first time I have ever dealt with this problem.  I understand what you are saying, but I called in before they made this decision and they could have easily matched up my info on the credit report with what was on my application.  Like I said earlier, when I applied and was approved for my car loan, I didn't have to deal with the headache of getting the run around then nobody attempting to call me, despite all of my info on the application and direct phone #.  Why would it hurt to call the persons # on the application?  I work in sales and have to do a credit check on each applicant.  If they have a fraud verification, we go through a simple process of transfering them to credit and ask them a series of questions to verify if the person is who they say they are.  If it is fraud, they can usually find out by asking questions.  Nothing is full proof, but it doesn't have to be so complicated and then have to be punished for something that is outside of my control.  

Message 9 of 11
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@LShawn08 wrote:

This is a sign! Run! :-)

I'm going to wait to hear back from the EO first and then go from there.  I have nothing to lose now.  There are too many moving parts in this system we have.  I'm not letting them push me around based off of some technicality.  If i'm not for myself, who will be?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.