Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Offer-On Opt-out list!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Offer-On Opt-out list!

I have a question.  I have been on the opt-out list (not 2 years yet), but I keep receiving these offers from CapOne saying " We've reviewed your credit report recently and find that you are eligible for a CrapIOne card, with 0%apr . BT, etc. 

I have torn up all the "offers" I have received from them,  but I still keep receiving the offers.  How do I let them know that I do not want them checking my credit (how can they do this without my requesting this) and to STOP sending me offers?

As  always, thank you for your support and help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Offer-On Opt-out list!

Do you have any Cap1 CCs or have in the past? If so, did you opt out directly with Cap1 in addition to the national list? I believe once you have a "relationship" with the creditor in any way, the national registry doesn't stop the offers from coming from existing creditors.

If you've never had a cap1, then hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along with more info.
Message 2 of 7
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Crapital One is one of the most abusive solicitors where they will "blind" shoot you an offer claiming they have reviewed you because in their fine print they say that "being preapproved is not a promise of credit...500-10000...based on your credit worthiness." This means IF you send them the application, you just gave them permission to pull it and then decide.

These bastards use regular mailing/solicitation lists to hit people up and how do I know this? I kept getting offers in the name of a character I used as a joke to order my friend a birthday gift. Name: Nerdy McDork and since this name is made up, there is no way in hell there is a credit report for it to be reviewed. However, this name will and most likely has been leaked by the shop where I got his birthday gift to mass mailing lists and catalogs. Hence how I know they use secondary lists and not just credit screens.

Its a bitch but the best you can do is write them directly and tell them to take you off of it. However, no guarantee that it won't show up again on their list from another source at a later date. I had to ask them 4 times with increasing threat level for them to finally stop sending me offers. Good luck.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I checked my credit report, I saw that Capital One checked my credit (soft hit) 12 times in 10 months. I've never had an account with them.

After doing the opt-out deal, nothing from them.
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

When I checked my credit report, I saw that Capital One checked my credit (soft hit) 12 times in 10 months. I've never had an account with them.

After doing the opt-out deal, nothing from them.

Opting out blocks creditors from softing you with a -PRM (promotional) prefix. Those -PRM softs look to see if your credit reports fit a general range of qualifications. They don't get all the gory details of your reports. If you are in this range, they receive your name and address so that they can mail you offers. This block on -PRM softs is what causes these mailings to dry up.

Existing creditors can continue to soft you to see how you're handling your overall credit. These softs have an -AR or -AM prefix. (account review, account maintenance)

So it sounds like your opt-out is working! (There often seem to be holes in the program.)

edited to clarify the softs by existing creditors. I suppose that technically these things aren't prefices, but that's the only word that I can seem to come up with. Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-17-2008 08:35 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I notice myself that once I opt-out the only "junk mail" offers I get is from my Cap1 and ATT wireless accounts. I did notice that inquiries on my reports are not as heavy as before. Only see what I have applied for.
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 6 of 7
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I opted out MANY times and it seems to never make it stop. I had to finally mail in a formal letter to the three bureaus and ask them to put not only a promotional block but also a fraud and security alert. It dried up REAL fast.

I mean its a pain in the ass a bit that I can't get "INSTANT" credit and have to jump through the hoops a bit when starting something new but since I don't run around getting credit all the time, a little extra pain is worth the protection.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.