Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Reporting Twice Per Month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Reporting Twice Per Month?

I'm confused how this works.  My CO statement date is the 9th of the month.  Typically by the 12th-13th or so, all 3 credit bureau's update with my latest CO details.

However, I received a TU and EQ update on the 1st/2nd of the calendar month where my balance went down and those two scores increased.  Why did it report my balance part of the way through the statement month?  I've been paying my util down like crazy over the last 30 days.  I'm (pleasantly) surprised and confused that EQ and TU seem to be getting regular data from Capital One, but EX only seems to update every 30 days after a statement cuts.  It allowed me to raise my score faster since I'm paying it down.  HOWEVER, this could work against me if it reports a balance 9 days before my statement cuts in the event I was going to PIF each month a few days before the statement.

I am using myFico 3B Whatever.... the ~$30/month option.

Any ideas why this is?  I read about different types of alerts for each bureau, but it was kind of confusing.  I can't quite grasp how they knew my balance before a statement.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Reporting Twice Per Month?

Sometimes, especially with CapOne (I've seen it with cards owned by them too like Kohl's), they will report but then if a High balance is shown on your account they will update the credit bureaus with that information.

Who knows why they do it maybe to keep a record a give you a CLI idk to be honest.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's the confusing part. Towards the beginning of November on my last statement on 11/9 I was at ~$600/1000 or 60% util. I paid down and so it worked in my favor that it reported $130 at the end of the calendar month and in a few days (12/9) when the next statement cuts it will report $0.

My concern is that if I use the card at all, I now have to make sure I have a $0 balance both at the end of the calendar month and again on the statement date (9th). This makes it really tricky for someone trying to keep a card active and use it enough to get CLI's, but for it to report zero at the end of the month because I have another card that I want to keep a 5% util on.

Good credit is a pain in the ass!

Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm confused how this works.  My CO statement date is the 9th of the month.  Typically by the 12th-13th or so, all 3 credit bureau's update with my latest CO details.

However, I received a TU and EQ update on the 1st/2nd of the calendar month where my balance went down and those two scores increased.  Why did it report my balance part of the way through the statement month?  I've been paying my util down like crazy over the last 30 days.  I'm (pleasantly) surprised and confused that EQ and TU seem to be getting regular data from Capital One, but EX only seems to update every 30 days after a statement cuts.  It allowed me to raise my score faster since I'm paying it down.  HOWEVER, this could work against me if it reports a balance 9 days before my statement cuts in the event I was going to PIF each month a few days before the statement.

I am using myFico 3B Whatever.... the ~$30/month option.

Any ideas why this is?  I read about different types of alerts for each bureau, but it was kind of confusing.  I can't quite grasp how they knew my balance before a statement.

Somehow I doubt that that's what happened. I've been using Capital One for 4.5 years, with as many as 5 accounts at a time, and have never seen anything like that occur. The balance that gets reported is always the balance in the statement. Exactly what date it gets picked up, and I find out about it, varies, but the amount reported has invariably been the balance as of the statement date.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.