cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One all over the place with scores?

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Capital One all over the place with scores?

So, the day I went on my spree (Sept 9th), I pulled my credit reports/scores.  Experian was a 658.  That day, I was approved for the Capital One Venture Card.  Later that same day, when logged in to a different Capital One account, I see that they have an option to give me my credit score (never noticed that before).  It says 674.  Yesterday in the mail I received a congrats/welcoming letter from Capital One dated the day I applied and was approved, which included my Experian score.  It says 632.  Whaaaaa?

In the very same day, Capital One had three different scores showing for me, two of them being Experian, and all very different.  

WTH?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One all over the place with scores?

There are stickies on this matter -- here's one in the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Difference-in-Scores/td-p/2384297

and it's a very common topic.  Different scoring models, different CRA's used to generate scores and different data will all affect differences in scores.

The scores you get from Capital One are FAKO's.  The score Capital One provides you after an approval/denial is the score that they actually used in making the decision which is a FICO.  Even FICO has a number of scoring models used by creditors (this is also a sticky in Understanding FICO Scoring)

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

So don't assume that all scores for you should be the same even if the same CRA is used as a data source.  As with any other comparison, make sure you're comparing apples to apples or at least understand how the items you're comparing differ.

@skigirl916 wrote:

So, the day I went on my spree (Sept 9th), I pulled my credit reports/scores.  Experian was a 658.

Where did this score come from?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.