Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One, huh!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One, huh!!!

I have an auto account with Capital One that is dropping off my CRA's in April. Today, I received a letter from an attorneys office telling me I had 30 days to respond or they will take action to collect this debt. What should I do? Dispute it maybe?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One, huh!!!

DO NOT RESPOND!!!!!!!  It is my understanding that if you contact them the time starts all over again! 
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the SOL for the state you live in now and where you signed the contract?

what law firm and did they have the 2 notices on their correspondence?

Contacting them cannot reset SOL - only making a payment to the OC can and once the OC has charged off the debt, SOL can't reset.  CAs would like you to think it can....

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 02-28-2008 06:04 PM
Message 3 of 9
danikasmom
Regular Contributor

What is the SOL for your state?  DV them.  Chances are, if it is that old, they are not going to be able to validate it because they won't have the info that you demand.  Get a DV letter example from this site and send it CMRRR.  DO NOT SIGN IT!  Just type your name.  Don't stress. 
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in AL and the SOL is 6 years. My credit report says the account is due to come off 4/2008. This is driving me CRAZY!!! Is this a common occurence?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

it could have been charged-off or DOFD no later than 5/2001 --- does this sound right (look at reports for last payment or chargeoff date).  If this is correct or even close (not more thn 1-2 months off) &  if you have the 30 day debt validation notice on the papers from him - then wait until day 24 from his letter date and send him a DV.  If he is not a debt collector then ask me for an SOL letter (your CR is proof of SOL date).

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 02-28-2008 07:34 PM
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You, I will do as you suggested and keep you posted.Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

sweetness....look at you EX and TU CR  they drop by DOFD......EQ drops by DOLA.

IMO   I would not send a DV letter I would only send the letter telling them that you know that you are past SOL. If this is due to drop in April you have to be past SOL because drop is 7-7.5 years!
Message 8 of 9
intookst
New Contributor

I am by far no expert here so what I am writing is just from experience with Capital One... I also had an auto loan that thru some craziness I won't repost again went into a 30 day late in 04, acct paid off in 05.. disputed the 30 day late  on Jan and now they have reposted as 30 days past due ,13 times in the last 17 months, dropping my score 60 pts. Yes I am fighting them hard but it is going to take time & work that I shouldn't be dealing with but... plus they changed DOLA to 1-1-08 instead of 6-05. This co has had some really bad posts on here so I would be leary about contacting them unless you are prepared to battle with them as I am having to do.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.