cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Dealer Pulled EQ 5 times in one day without my permission

tag
hancdc2

Car Dealer Pulled EQ 5 times in one day without my permission

So, I am in the process of buying a Volvo for overseas delivery. Back in July they pulled my TU at 720. Everything was good to go.

Now, I am less than 30 days from picking up the car, and they all the sudden tell me that they have to pull my credit again.

I did not give them permission to do so, and yet, Scorewatch emails me.

5 inquiries on 9/6.

Is this even legal? I think it's kind of insane that they would need to ever pull 1 bureau more than once. If they pulled all 3, once each, that would make sense.

The main thing I want to know is this:

Is it legal for a car dealer to pull my credit 5 times in one day without my permission?

Starting Score: EQ 603, TU 620, EX Fako 667
Current Score: EQ 615, TU 686, EX Fako 692
Goal Score: EQ 670, TU 700, EX 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Car Dealer Pulled EQ 5 times in one day without my permission

Since you are currently in a purchase agreement with them, I am going to guess that yes, they do have a permissible purpose.  The good news is that FICO will only score those inquiries once (1 inquiry hit for multiple pulls when shopping for auto/home loans).

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Car Dealer Pulled EQ 5 times in one day without my permission

You may well find in the future that even though only one is scored for FICO scoring, you might get denied for an app due to "too many inquiries." That's because many lenders use a computer screen to review apps, and a computer doesn't know how to distinguish among apps.

If this happens, you'll have to call in and point out that you weren't trying to buy 5 cars, only one.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.