cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Dealer Said they LEGALLY have to do a Hard Inquiry Even if paying cash!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car Dealer Said they LEGALLY have to do a Hard Inquiry Even if paying cash!

dnm45227 wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:
Dealerships-plural.  Different parts of town, different companies, different manufactures, differerent corporate counsels giving the classes we were required to take before we went out on the floor.
Like I said, you may find a dealership that doesn't follow the letter of the law, but it is the law.

you know actually now that i think about it all i had was a photo copy of the check and a letter of credit from wells fargo, of course they called wells fargo and made sure everything was cool. my point being i drove off the lot with a brand new 2005 jeep liberty from a five star dealership with a copy of a check, and they didn't pull my credit.

Some less reputable dealerships will try and feed you the above line assuming the average consumer doesn't know any better.  Unfortunately they don't.

Message Edited by Brammy on 10-03-2007 10:50 PM
Message 21 of 66
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

uptomyneck wrote:

but it is the law.

Verifying the identity is the law.

Running a Credit Check without my permission is not the law.  It is convenient for them, I agree, but is not the law.  I have purchased 4 cars and an engine from my local dealer, and had them do repairs - they know my identity and can verify it via passport, drivers license and their records.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 22 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:
Dealerships-plural.  Different parts of town, different companies, different manufactures, differerent corporate counsels giving the classes we were required to take before we went out on the floor.
Like I said, you may find a dealership that doesn't follow the letter of the law, but it is the law.

you know actually now that i think about it all i had was a photo copy of the check and a letter of credit from wells fargo, of course they called wells fargo and made sure everything was cool. my point being i drove off the lot with a brand new 2005 jeep liberty from a five star dealership with a copy of a check, and they didn't pull my credit.

If you handed them a check and they called Wells Fargo then they performed their due diligence because they can document that a lending institution performed the required checks.  But, if you wanted to stroke a check on your own, they aren't gonna (well shouldn't) take it without getting a credit app.
Message 23 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did someone just say a "a car dealership is a financial institution?"

I can't go back and re-read as this whole thread needs to be deleted.
Message 24 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

uptomyneck wrote:

dnm45227 wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:

If you handed them a check and they called Wells Fargo then they performed their due diligence because they can document that a lending institution performed the required checks.  But, if you wanted to stroke a check on your own, they aren't gonna (well shouldn't) take it without getting a credit app.

For that type of transaction don't most dealerships require a guaranteed form of paymnt such as cashier's check?

Message Edited by Brammy on 10-03-2007 10:55 PM
Message 25 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
Did someone just say a "a car dealership is a financial institution?"

I can't go back and re-read as this whole thread needs to be deleted.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:

but it is the law.

Running a Credit Check without my permission is not the law.  It is convenient for them, I agree, but is not the law.  I have purchased 4 cars and an engine from my local dealer, and had them do repairs - they know my identity and can verify it via passport, drivers license and their records.

That's why they get you to fill out a credit application.  They can't run your credit to do the verification they need without it.  If they get caught running somebody's credit without a signed app their in just as much trouble.
Now, they would strongly prefer that you finance with them, but that's a different issue.  I wouldn't recommend you do finance with them, unless you already know they have a rate that beats what you can't get elsewhere.  The point of my posts is you can't just walk into a dealership and pay cash to get out of a credit pull, because there are certain legal requirements that have to be met.

Message 27 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

uptomyneck wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:

but it is the law.

That's why they get you to fill out a credit application.  They can't run your credit to do the verification they need without it.  If they get caught running somebody's credit without a signed app their in just as much trouble.
Now, they would strongly prefer that you finance with them, but that's a different issue.  I wouldn't recommend you do finance with them, unless you already know they have a rate that beats what you can't get elsewhere.  The point of my posts is you can't just walk into a dealership and pay cash to get out of a credit pull, because there are certain legal requirements that have to be met.

Okay I'm confused, didn't yu say earlier that if you ae paying cash the credit maager has to approve you?  Or some such thing?

Message 28 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:

dnm45227 wrote:

uptomyneck wrote:

For that type of transaction don't most dealerships require a guaranteed form of paymnt such as cashier's check?

Message Edited by Brammy on 10-03-2007 10:55 PM

In three years I only saw one cashier's check.  Some people (including my dad actually) will just whip out their checkbook.
Message 29 of 66
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

uptomyneck wrote:

If they get caught running somebody's credit without a signed app their in just as much trouble.

My point exactly.  They have no PP if you can prove ID satisfactorily
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 30 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.