Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Loan question

tag
dallas01
New Contributor

Car Loan question

Hello all, I've been reading the forums for a while now and just signed up for the score watch.
Anyway my question if anyone knows is My father in law purchased a new vehicle for me on his credit 2 years ago. I've made every payment on time and it kills me that I can't get credit for it. Is there any way I can get added to his account on a car loan? I know that you can do it with a credit card I'm just not real sure about a car loan.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. Right now I have a 518 credit score with everything on my report being over 2 years old. 7 negatives for a total of 7,000. I just opened 2 small high risk credit cards that I'll just pay the fees to keep my credit going.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll pay through the nose to refi the car to pay off fa...

You'll pay through the nose to refi the car to pay off father in law.  That being sai, sometimes paying through the nose is the only way to reestablilsh credit history.
Message 2 of 4
yoreljm
New Contributor

You should think about taking care of those negative item...

You should think about taking care of those negative items first! Then you could try to get a better loan to refinance the car.
Message 3 of 4
dallas01
New Contributor

I could pay off the negatives but my score would still be...

I could pay off the negatives but my score would still be the same. I would rather use the money to put down. Out of my 7 negatives 3 should come off by disputing.

Nissan is sending me a credit application and said they would put me as the buyer and my father in law as the co signer.

Would this still give me a bad rate if he has perfect credit? I know that a co-signer for a house with  perfect credit  will get you alot better rate than just bad credit.

And also my score should go up I was just added as a AU for a BOA card thats been going for about 2 years with a 11,000 limit.

Message Edited by dallas01 on 04-05-2007 07:26 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.