Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car almost paid off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car almost paid off

So... I've been able to raise my scores a lot over the last few months. I did open 5 credit cards this year. I only have those 5 cards. I do have a closed card that was 7 yrs or so. I have a student loan and a car loan. My car is going to be paid of in 2 months, maybe 3. I'm hoping for preapproval on a home this time next yr, so need nothing but positive things happening from here on out. No new inquiries, loans, or cards are happening now. Is my score going to get killed with the car loan being paid? I will still have the student loan. Right now, myfico shows my credit mix as "very good", if that helps at all.

As of march, I had 651, 650, and 623. Now, 682, 680, 676. I don't want to lose everything I just did. Since I have the student loan, should I be okay to pay it off soon?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car almost paid off

Your scores will rise with time...

I would get cozy with a mortgage lender....the broker can get you started with advice

Sounds like you are in a good position....just don't wait

Good luck

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to wait a yr to app. Saving money, in a lease, raise scores, etc. I'm just curious if paying the car off now or in a month or two is going to drop me a bunch. I've read and been told paying car loans off hurt your score, but then I've read it shouldn't drop your score, so idk.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact kind of lost I was looking for. I just finished paying off my loan and my fico score dropped 10 points across the board. I never could understand why your score drops when paying a car loan off completely. Makes no sense! You pay off your credit cards score goes up, pay off private loan score goes up, but you pay off your car loan BOOM they deduct your score. Can anyone explain why???
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you still have an installment loan open when the car got paid off? I still have the student, so hoping that saves me.
Message 5 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It's a Fico thing and how they judge your credit worthiness. Your payment history accounts for a percentage of your credit. Within that percentage, you get the maximum total score points by having a mixture of revolving and installment loans.

To the point you made, if you pay all of your cards off with 0% reporting, you will actually lose points. The same can be said for an installment loan being paid off if it's the only one you have.

What this gets at is they want to see how you manage current credit that is open, and a mixture of it. I know in theory, you pay something off it should be seen as good. This is just the way they do their scoring.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so by keeping the student loan open, should I expect a huge decrease in score, or does that only happen when you have 0 installment loans?

I know about the cresit cards all reporting 0 balances....that was a nice fico update scare. Another card reported a balance a few days later and got it back though.
Message 7 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay, so by keeping the student loan open, should I expect a huge decrease in score, or does that only happen when you have 0 installment loans?

I know about the cresit cards all reporting 0 balances....that was a nice fico update scare. Another card reported a balance a few days later and got it back though.

It's installment utilization not credit mix in this case.  Credit mix factors both open and closed accounts; however FICO 8 wants not only open accounts but also having pretty utilization metrics for optimal scoring on both the revolving and installment calculations.

The ratios are 10% and ~70% on the installment side, aggregate current balance / original balance.  Having a loan still open doesn't hurt, but it may not help... vis a vis when I got my mortgage and took my installment utilization from 7% to 99.99%, 24 point drop.  If you cross a threshold when the auto loan no longer counts when closed, then you'll see a drop; if you don't, you won't.

Anyway the plus side of all of this is 2/3 of the mortgage trifecta couldn't care less about installment utilization as it simply isn't a factor in FICO 04; however, it is for Experian on FICO 98.  Beats me why they skipped a generation of scores but FICO is as FICO does.

        
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I paid off my car. I lost 13 points on TU ( had gone up to 693, now down to 680) and 10 on EQ (down to 664 now). Oh well. Not a huge hit, but still kind of disappointing. Just going to keep using and paying of my current credit cards and paying down my student loan. Hope to be in 700's next year.
Message 9 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is my score going to get killed with the car loan being paid?

If it does then you have bigger issues to worry about than the impact to Credit Mix.  Your student loans are installments.  As long you have an open installment you'll see some benefit to Credit Mix.  However, consider the relative impact of that factor.  It is a small factor.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Worry over the big ones first.

@Anonymous wrote:

Small impact.  Your scores indicate to me that you have bigger issues elsewhere that you should be focusing on.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.