Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car & Motorcycle Insurance

tag
George2037
Regular Contributor

Car & Motorcycle Insurance

I just wanted to post about an experiance I just went through reguarding Insurance premiums.

I have a perfect driving record (not even a parking ticket) and have had insurance with GEICO for several years.  Now through these several years I was in the mode of I'll take what I can get (Bad credit does it to you), and never really shopped around.  Well I lost my garage parking for my bike and wanted to switch my insurance to show that it was street parked.  Well I figured while I'm at it I would hit up Progressive and get the "Multiple Quotes" to see where to start or what I should be expecting my new premium to be.  Everyone was in the same ball park except for one "Erie Insurance".

Now I've dealt with Erie before, I insured all my business through them but when I moved they didn't have an office close by so I went with GEICO for the online conveniance.  Sceptical because of their Odd-Ball premium I called and made an appointment (yes that is the inconvient part, having to deal with an Agent but might just be worth it).  After giving all my info and what I wanted to him his quote kinda threw me for a loop.  BUT I went with it, after combining all my coverages (Car, Bike, Renters) all into one Policy I am now saving a Total of $1,200.00 (Twelve Hundred Dollars) a year by switching to Erie.

I asked the agent how that could be and he quickly explained, Erie doesn't spend millions a month on advertising, they don't spend millions on online convience, and most importantly they don't weigh Credit Ratings as heavily as the "other guys".   He says most importantly Erie wants a good driver, their Credit score could be "0" but if they have a good driving record they will get a low rate. 

I'm not sure everyone will qualify for insurance (they look back 3 years on yours and everyone living in the house driving records), but they just may be worth a try.

Sorry for the Plug, but they just saved me a fortune and wanted to let you know there is an insurance company that wont hurt you for a Low Credit Score.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car & Motorcycle Insurance

My sis had Erie when she was in a serious accident - really pissy about her claim and med bills....
Message 2 of 4
George2037
Regular Contributor

I guess it comes down to the Agent doing the claim.  My business had little over $25k worth of material stolen off a job and I filed a claim, had the check within 2 weeks.  Didn't get any grief at all from them.

OH, the best part of this switch was calling GEICO and when they asked why I was canceling I almost laughed when I said "I just saved $1,200.00 by switching to Erie".
Message 3 of 4
notmyname
Regular Contributor

One never knows about the insurance business . I do hope you never have to claim and if you do, it all goes your way.
I have Geico and just had a forty six - thousand dollar auto claim in August. When my new car came in , my rate went down by fifteen dollars every six months.

In the end , I don't think it is about what we pay them, but what they pay us.

Btw, my premium on that car was two hundred - fifty six dollars every six months.

RP
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.