Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car insurance and FICO score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car insurance and FICO score

I have been pondering buying a car and doing "what if" scenarios by submitting quotes to car insurers with different models of cars, and other variables, just to see how the quote changes, partly to figure out how to budget, how long to wait, what model of car to consider. Anyway, after submitting one to Geico I got this back in my email a day or two later:

"The consumer reporting agency provided the following description of the credit factors that had the most influence on the price we quoted you:

Insufficient length of credit history (-) This reason is based on the age of the accounts on your credit bureau report (the age of the oldest account, the average age of accounts, or both). Research shows that consumers with longer credit histories have lower insurance loss risk than those with shorter credit histories. Also, consumers who frequently open new accounts have greater insurance loss risk than those who do not. Therefore, only apply for needed credit and wait before you apply for more. All other factors being equal, your score is likely to improve as your credit history ages."

That's true, I don't have much credit history. I have been in the US for only a few months, my oldest account is reporting 6 months to Equifax, and 5 months with Experian and TransUnion. I gather that GEICO did a SP from TU to come up with this? So they probably didn't even get back a score, if they are using FICO, becuase I don't have enough history yet at TU to get a score.

Anyone know how much of a difference this is making? Is it my lack of 6 months specifically that this is on about? Or am I going to get hit with this until I build a couple of years of credit history? 

Overall, how much of a difference does credit history make to an auto insurance policy rate?

Also, by the way, it looks like submitting "what if" quotes to Geico is a good way to get free TransUnion credit reports: the email advised I'm entitled to one. Didn't hit my file as a HP, just a SP (at least no sign of it yet and I will be a bit pissed off if it does show up as a HP).

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Car insurance and FICO score

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been pondering buying a car and doing "what if" scenarios by submitting quotes to car insurers with different models of cars, and other variables, just to see how the quote changes, partly to figure out how to budget, how long to wait, what model of car to consider. Anyway, after submitting one to Geico I got this back in my email a day or two later:

"The consumer reporting agency provided the following description of the credit factors that had the most influence on the price we quoted you:

Insufficient length of credit history (-) This reason is based on the age of the accounts on your credit bureau report (the age of the oldest account, the average age of accounts, or both). Research shows that consumers with longer credit histories have lower insurance loss risk than those with shorter credit histories. Also, consumers who frequently open new accounts have greater insurance loss risk than those who do not. Therefore, only apply for needed credit and wait before you apply for more. All other factors being equal, your score is likely to improve as your credit history ages."

That's true, I don't have much credit history. I have been in the US for only a few months, my oldest account is reporting 6 months to Equifax, and 5 months with Experian and TransUnion. I gather that GEICO did a SP from TU to come up with this? So they probably didn't even get back a score, if they are using FICO, becuase I don't have enough history yet at TU to get a score.

Anyone know how much of a difference this is making? Is it my lack of 6 months specifically that this is on about? Or am I going to get hit with this until I build a couple of years of credit history? I think Fico has an auto model but its not the only one out there that the lenders use, a lot of them use their own internal models based on whats in your report. Building and keeping a positive payment history will result in lower insurance rates. Just starting out you will most likely be paying higher premiums.

Overall, how much of a difference does credit history make to an auto insurance policy rate? It depends on the issuer of the policy, in some states its outlawed to use insurance scores based on credit.

Also, by the way, it looks like submitting "what if" quotes to Geico is a good way to get free TransUnion credit reports: the email advised I'm entitled to one. This approach to obtaining your credit report is not advocated by MyFico and advocating such would be a violation of the TOS.  Didn't hit my file as a HP, just a SP (at least no sign of it yet and I will be a bit pissed off if it does show up as a HP). Insurance quotes typically result in SPs only, rare you get a HP for one.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks -- I found some information from their site:

https://www.geico.com/information/credit-use-faq/

I guess I'm still left with the question of how quickly is this going to change? Is it likely that the 6 month rule applies to this like it does other things, and I'm being heavily peanlized just for not having as core, in which case, within a couple of months it will change dramatically? Or is it more likely some long gradual AAoA / oldest account curve that is just going to improve gradually? 

The difference between the two is a "wait" versus "don't wait" data point, because I'm not going to let the tail wave the dog and wait a year for a slightly better insurance rate. But I might wait a few weeks for one!

Message 3 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks -- I found some information from their site:

https://www.geico.com/information/credit-use-faq/

I guess I'm still left with the question of how quickly is this going to change? Is it likely that the 6 month rule applies to this like it does other things, and I'm being heavily peanlized just for not having as core, in which case, within a couple of months it will change dramatically? Or is it more likely some long gradual AAoA / oldest account curve that is just going to improve gradually? Persoally I am not sure, I have not examined in detail auto insurance scoring models, but like the credit world I will assume that a longer history and a good AAoA will help your cause. Your biggest problem is you are new here so only time is going to heal the wounds of having to pay more now. From what I know of my own auto insurers they did not check my credit every time they renewed a policy, one never even inquired for 3 years into my credit history.

The difference between the two is a "wait" versus "don't wait" data point, because I'm not going to let the tail wave the dog and wait a year for a slightly better insurance rate. But I might wait a few weeks for one!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you are looking at other insurance quotes besides Geico.  Despite the gecko, they can be over priced in comparison to other companies.

Message 5 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

We really can't answer these questions.  We don't work for the various insurance companies and we don't know the specifics of how they factor in a credit based insurnace score (if one is used).  You really just have to shop around, get multiple quotes and carefully compare rates and coverage.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope you are looking at other insurance quotes besides Geico.  Despite the gecko, they can be over priced in comparison to other companies.

+1

I'm switching companies so I just requested quotes from four different companies. Including my current, which is Esurance, Geico is the most expensive by a wide margin.

ETA: I also got that same letter from Geico. I did not get it from the others.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a licensed insurance agent I can tell you that a bad credit score could as much as double your rates....
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
As a licensed insurance agent I can tell you that a bad credit score could as much as double your rates....

Agreed.  My best friend is an insurance broker. He represents around 20 companies so I have easy access to quotes. Back in July I had a 530ish score today I'm in the high 700's. My car insurance went from $2200 a year to  $1500. Literally two thirds of what I was paying before. Same age, cars, everything.

Message 9 of 18
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Best of luck to yah OP, Geico is the cheapest by far. 

Well for me it is, totaled a 20K car, 1 speeding ticket reporting and 715 scores and im only paying $500 per 6 month premium(2013 impala LTZ).

I got quotes from all the other major companies and some wanted $200 a month. 

dont know what it is but Geico is the cheapest for people like me(22/M).

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.