cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying low balance on every CC hurts your score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carrying low balance on every CC hurts your score?

My score dropped 25 yesterday and the only reason I can think of is I keep about $10 balance on every credit cards (total 4 cards). is this normal? should keep 0 balance.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Carrying low balance on every CC hurts your score?

You got it mixed up...your probably will get a small decrease for keeping a $0 balance..oppose to a small balance...look at your reports closely...to see if something else has changed...
Message 2 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

I get dinged if I have more then 1 CC report a balance small or not.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

For max revolving util FICO points, have less than 1/2 of your credit cards reporting any balance. The ones that do report a balance should be < 9% of their CL.
Message 4 of 13
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

marty56 wrote:
I get dinged if I have more then 1 CC report a balance small or not.

me too, on TU. I noticed this month on my report: Too many accounts with balances. I only have 5 cards with very small balances at 7% total util and I got dinged with that!
Message 5 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

While I am not 100% sure about score buckets I wonder if they play a role in how people's score is affected by the number of accounts that report a balance. 

I am either in the major derog (120 day late) score bucket or the old account score bucket.

If this is true, would it also follow that people who are dinged for more then 1 account showing a blance should not get dinged for no accounts showing a balance?
Message 6 of 13
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

marty56 wrote:
While I am not 100% sure about score buckets I wonder if they play a role in how people's score is affected by the number of accounts that report a balance. 

I am either in the major derog (120 day late) score bucket or the old account score bucket.

If this is true, would it also follow that people who are dinged for more then 1 account showing a blance should not get dinged for no accounts showing a balance?

Marty, I'll answer this question next week. I am getting 7 120's removed by next fri. I'll let you know if and how much score jumps and if I get rebucketed
Message 7 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

If I may ask which company are they with?  Mine is with BofA.  Also how old are they? Mine will be 3 years in August.
Message 8 of 13
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

I also just paid more then half of my CCs to Zero So Im intrested in see the outcome of the half rule!
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 9 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I did get a score jump once on TU when I accidentally had all 5 CC's report $0. But others have reported a ding when that happens.

It might well be as marty said, and it varies by score bucket. I have a BT card, so it will be a long while before I can test this! Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.