Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cease and Decist letters to people

tag
Pants
Regular Contributor

Cease and Decist letters to people

Hello.. I know C & D letters work for collection agencies.. If an individual is harassing me wanting to collect a small amount like $75.00. Will a C & D letter force the individual to stop harassing me? I wasn't sure if the Fair Debt Collection Act was also for individuals. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cease and Decist letters to people

Be careful with those C&D letters, just because you tell them to stop contacting you doesn't mean the debt goes away. They will just take that as confirmation that you have no intent to pay the debt and it may end up in court as a judgement. In your case, its probably best to ask for a PFD. Its only 75 bucks and if 75 bucks buys you a baddie removal, its worth it to me...
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 2 of 6
Pants
Regular Contributor

Your right.. I DON'T have intent to pay the bill. I would rather see this matter taken into court to end it. I believe I have sufficient evidence to show I don't owe this debt. I am not going to pay for a debt twice... I think you might be misunderstanding me... This is NOT a collection agency but rather an individual who believes I owe him a small amount of money. I don't understand how a PFD will work since we aren't dealing with CA's and the amount is so small CA's won't collect for him. I just want the guy to stop showing up at my home, my work, calling me, following me around town. Calling me a crook around town..I was just wondering if the Fair Collections Act protects me from individuals. Yes.. I can pay to get this person off my back.. but its the principle... LOL
Message 3 of 6
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

I would report him to the police as a stalker and if you have a reciept, then he has no leg to stand on. What he is doing is harrassment, take a restraining order out against him.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I once had a 'stalker' situation. Instead of actually getting a restraining order I consulted a lawyer, had him write a letter telling the SOB to back off & that if he didn't a restraining order would be the next step. It worked. 
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pants wrote:
Your right.. I DON'T have intent to pay the bill. I would rather see this matter taken into court to end it. I believe I have sufficient evidence to show I don't owe this debt. I am not going to pay for a debt twice... I think you might be misunderstanding me... This is NOT a collection agency but rather an individual who believes I owe him a small amount of money. I don't understand how a PFD will work since we aren't dealing with CA's and the amount is so small CA's won't collect for him. I just want the guy to stop showing up at my home, my work, calling me, following me around town. Calling me a crook around town..I was just wondering if the Fair Collections Act protects me from individuals. Yes.. I can pay to get this person off my back.. but its the principle... LOL

Stalking,harrassing and slander are all civil charges and should be handled by the police or court order. FCA doesn't work.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.