Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Phone Carrier sold to AT&T

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cell Phone Carrier sold to AT&T

My local cell phone provider (Cellular One) was just sold to AT&T. I fulfilled my agreement/contract with Cellular One. I am just going month to month. I don't want to get into another contract with Cell One.. I bought a bunch of accessories for my phone and don't need a new free phone. I just got notice today my provider is being sold to AT&T. What can I expect with this change? Will I be forced into a new contract? Will they make me get a new phone? Will I have a hard pull on my credit report? This is sort of off topic.. But with the messages of people getting hard pulled with AT&T, I thought I would ask.

Message Edited by Sharria on 08-07-2007 11:46 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cell Phone Carrier sold to AT&T

Easiest thing to do it give AT&T wireless a call and ask them.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did.. but nobody knows anything. AT&T says they have no record of service for my zip code. Cellular One has no information what AT&T will do. .
Message 3 of 7
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

I do know that T-mobile is now approving everyone regardless of credit issues for no deposit if you sign a contract with them. I know you just bought a new phone and such but you maybe able to use their sim card in the phone you bought.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't recently sign a contract with Cellular One. My two year contract expired 3 or 4 months ago. 
T-mobile sounds like a good deal, but unfortunately they don't service my area.

If you think about it. The days of wracking up a $2,000 cell phone bill are almost long gone. A wired phone (in most areas of the country) never do credit checks. Isn't it about time for Cell phone companies to stop doing credit checks? I suppose 12, or 24 month service agreements probably make it requirement to do credit checks. But with cell phone companies offering nationwide unlimited minutes, no roaming. A cell phone company isn't out a whole lot of money anymore if someone defaults. Usually if you don't pay the bill they disconnect you right away.

Unless you call from outside of the country or International calling. (which can be blocked) I can't see how a person is going to rip off or default on thousands of dollars of calling like they could 20 years ago.

Message Edited by Sharria on 08-07-2007 12:35 PM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will most likely "encourage" you into a contract and of course new phones. They do have pay-as-you go plans too but I doubt your new phone will work with AT&T's network unless your phone uses a SIM card. If you do have to get a new phone then check on eBay for compatible phones similar to yours.
Message 6 of 7
wvasweetness
Contributor

We also have Cell One service, and I called just last week about something similar... My husband wants a new cell phone, and I do not (I just recently got a new one that I love).

This is what I was told... In order for us to sign a new contract, it must be an AT&T contract with an AT&T plan. With an AT&T plan, you MUST have an AT&T phone bc (according to the rep I talked to, they either won't or can't put an AT&T card into a Cell One phone. That means that when (if) we sign a new contract with AT&T, we will have to buy new phones.

When I asked if my credit would be checked, they said that as long as there is no lapse in service, they will NOT do a credit check at all - we will just have to sign an AT&T contract and get new phones.

My guess is that they will eventually "make" you sign a contract since you currently do not have a contract with them. But if what the rep told me is true, you won't have to worry about them pulling your credit... you'll only have to worry about getting a new phone and not being able to use all of those cool accessories you just bought.

Message Edited by wvasweetness on 02-14-2008 11:36 AM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.