Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off fell of EQ but still on TU

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Charge Off fell of EQ but still on TU

I had a utility bill charge off that fell off EQ 2 months ago but is still on my TU. I pulled my TU report today through Annual Credit Report. com and it said the CO will come off my TU in November. I was wondering how there could be a 7 month difference. Shouldn't the CO fall off on each CRA at the same time? I ask this because EQ and TU pretty much mirror each other, except for inquiries. Would there be much to be gained by disputing to TU? Thank you.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Charge Off fell of EQ but still on TU

Do you know what the DoFD is?

EQ actually uses the DoFD.  TU and EX come up with an exclusion date based on information submitted by the OC.  They are estimates and could be wrong.

I would not dispute because TU is basing that date on their calculations and would probably verify it.  I think I would call them instead and ask.

Message 2 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

EQ actually uses the DoFD.  TU and EX come up with an exclusion date based on information submitted by the OC.  They are estimates and could be wrong.

I would not dispute because TU is basing that date on their calculations and would probably verify it.  I think I would call them instead and ask.

I think you are onto something there. In fact EQ seemed to have let the CO fall off after 7 years and according to my calculations, TU must be waiting for 7 years plus 180 days. It might be best to leave it alone, I don't EQ to put it back on. Could EQ put it back on if they realized that 7 years 180 days has not passed? Thanks a lot guiness56!

Message 3 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

It is not worth your time. By the time you challenge their information and receive a response, It would be August or September. At this point, it isn't hurting your score anyway. My suggestion is to let it go away by itself.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

It is not worth your time. By the time you challenge their information and receive a response, It would be August or September. At this point, it isn't hurting your score anyway. My suggestion is to let it go away by itself.

Thanks, I will go with that. I just wanted to get the bump up that I did when it fell off my EQ which was 42 points. It's my last baddie and when the time comes, it will feel good to have a clean EQ and TU.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA sets maximum dates after which a CRA must exclude an adverse item.

In the case of a charge-off or collection, it is no later than 7 yrs plus 180 days from the reported DOFD on the OC account.

Nothing precludes a CRA from excluding earlier, and they often will do so to avoid going over the statutory max.

That is why estimated exclusion dates can vary.

Thus, exclusion by one CRA is not basis for requiring exclusion of others.

Exclusion by all has a max date, not a specific, requred date.

Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Slab wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

I think you are onto something there. In fact EQ seemed to have let the CO fall off after 7 years and according to my calculations, TU must be waiting for 7 years plus 180 days. It might be best to leave it alone, I don't EQ to put it back on. Could EQ put it back on if they realized that 7 years 180 days has not passed? Thanks a lot guiness56!

No, they won't reinsert it.  EQ normally uses the 7 years vs 7.5 years.  I agree to leave the others alone.  They will be off soon.

Message 7 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot for the excellent answers. You guys really know this credit stuff and you are helping many people understand this complicated subject. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.