cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off on Checking Account - Credit Score effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Off on Checking Account - Credit Score effect?

I recently checked my balance on an old checking account with Washington Mutual, and found a "charge off."  Unfortunately, an old check that I wrote was cashed in months later sending it into overdraft.  It's been just over 60 days and I didn't know.  I tried to fund the account today, but customer service informed me that account has been closed for 5 days.  Apparently, I can repay the bank as some kind of notice should come in the mail.  However, will this charge off show up on my credit report?  If so, what can I do to get it removed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Off on Checking Account - Credit Score effect?

My boyfriend has a charged off account. It shouldn't show up on your credit report, usually only loans or credit type things will show up. They will be sending you letters to try and get you to pay though. And you will be put on the Chexsystem, which is a bank to bank monitoring type program and being on that will not enable you to open ANY type of bank account with any other banks or credit unions. So I woundn't worry about your score, but if you need to get another checking account, you'll need to get that taken care of.
Message 2 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I had a Southtrust/Wachovia charged off checking account that showed up on my credit reports.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are incorrect.    A charged off checking/savings account can certainly be reported to the cb.  That is in addition to the reporting to checksystems.  If the account is sent to an outside ca then they will report it to your cb.
Message 4 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Savings321 wrote:
My boyfriend has a charged off account. It shouldn't show up on your credit report, usually only loans or credit type things will show up.

FALSE!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.