cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Regularly, Pay Regularly, or Both?

tag
nearlythere
Established Member

Charge Regularly, Pay Regularly, or Both?

Account Activity/Account Management:  I want to demonstrate good management of credit.  Do I need to continually charge small amounts, or is continually paying small amounts on a low balance sufficient?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge Regularly, Pay Regularly, or Both?

@nearlythere wrote:

Account Activity/Account Management:  I want to demonstrate good management of credit.  Do I need to continually charge small amounts, or is continually paying small amounts on a low balance sufficient?

Interesting question, both get reported but I'm not certain how FICO or any other algorithm or underwriting decision looks at that, so I do both. Edit: some people just paying down cards have reported AA on accounts, that might be from not using the card for new charges, or could be some other factor too.

Personally I try to make it as easy possible regardless of how it's implemented: I charge at least something once a month on every card, I let a balance report, and make one payment each month on every card.  This is probably overkill, but I know first-hand how corners get cut in software, so I don't leave that bit to chance.

I know this doesn't maximize instant-in-time utilization, but I don't apply that often for loans / additional credit, so I can maximize that the month prior to application by the usual revolving utilization tricks.

        
Message 2 of 6
nearlythere
Established Member

Thanks for your input.  I have been paying regularly, but haven't charged in several months.  I will add that into my plan of attack.

Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@nearlythere wrote:

The best way to increse FICO scores is to charge heavy on the card and PIF if you have other cards (make sure at least 1 card reports a small balance). If this is your only card, make sure to leave a 1-9% balance on it and PIF after the statement closing date.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
nearlythere
Established Member

Thank you for the detailed explanation, LS.  Much appreciated

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting question.  My score dropped because I has a small balance on a few cards.  (Per FICO).  Didnt seem to matter that each balance was really low.     I have started using the cards monthly (to keep the credit company happy) but paying the balance in full on as many cards as possible to keep my FICO low.  I have 6 accounts and try to only keep a balance on two or three.   Plus I hate interest charges but my Discover has first 6 month free interest.  Gawd I love that card!!!  Cat Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.